Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Loads for CTR 02?

USBP379

Howdy All,

Well, I just got my JP CTR02 out of the box and took it to the range for the first time. It shot about an inch at 100 with Black Hills Remanufactured 69 gr match hollow point. The same round, though, was shooting a half inch at a hundred out of my 14.5 inch LWRC M6A4! It loves that load!

I figure this is just a matter of finding the loading that the gun likes. My JP has an 18 inch match barrel, and I assume it is a 1 in 9 twist. I am setting up my progressive reloader for 223 and I am wondering if I would be better off with lighter bullets?

Does anybody have experience in developing a load that their pet CTR02 loves? I've seen test groups out of JPs and I know it is capable of much more accuracy than I am seeing.

All input is welcome.

Thanks,

Billy

San Antonio, TX

Look on the bottom of the barrel near the gas block there will be a number stamped there either an 8 or a 9 that will tell you the twist fo the barrel. FWIW I have never had great luck with B.H. ammo, but I know many who do. Both mine like Nozler/Sierra ballistic tips and 69 grain Sierras and most all .223 will respond well to VV or AA powdwers or Varget selected depending on Bullet weight. KURTM

Billy,

I have used several JP barrels over the years and they all liked 69gr sierra's and 55 gr Nosler and Sierra Blitz 55's.

My current load is 25 gr. Varget with a 69 at 2.250 O.A. with once shot brass. The heavier bullet moves steel better at distance over a 55. I keep a few 55's around for the hoser stages also with varget to keep loading simple.

Be sure to test at longer distances too. I get the same group at 200 as I do at 100 with the 69's.

Carl

Thanks for the info, Guys,

Going back to the range today with 55grain Winchester white box, 62 Grain Fed/American Eagle, and hopefully, some 69grain Federal Gold Medal ammo. Hopefully I'll find the sweet spot. I am also taking a bunch more sand bags to bag the crap out of my gun and lessen my impact on the groups.

I will have my reloading bench up next week, so I appreciate the load data. Next stop is Wideners for some components.

Thanks!

Billy