Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rod Replacement of Recoil Master

bobobooie

I did a couple of searches and here is the situation I have. I have a new gun with the STI recoil master (heavy) installed at the factory. I like and am used to a one piece solid guide rod and a single spring. I noticed on two other recent handguns that the rear of the one piece guide rods have a bevel from about half way down. The searches thus far told me that the bevel is "about 30*" and was easy to do with a belt sander.

My questions are:

Why the bevel? Years ago I do not recall any bevel and folks were replacing one piece with two piece, short ones with full length ones, etc. I do not recall anyone in my group doing any bevel. I realize I could have been with a dumb group.

And lastly, is the exact bevel best, instead of "about 30*"? Should I measure with a protractor and bevel accordingly in relation with the barrel feet?

Oh heck, and what's a new (100 rd) recoil master worth when I go to the next match and offer it for sale or trade?

Thanks so much for any insight you can/will give. The proper thread would be cool too if you would direct me. I just can't find the info I want when I search.

Paul

NOT trying to be a smart-a##, but the easiest way about it would be simply pick up a STI steel guide rod, already set to go in your STI and available at Shooters for $15.75. Dropped right into my Edge like it was made for the gun!

Just a thought... :cheers:

NOT trying to be a smart-a##, but the easiest way about it would be simply pick up a STI steel guide rod, already set to go in your STI and available at Shooters for $15.75. Dropped right into my Edge like it was made for the gun!

Just a thought... :cheers:

Now that's an idea I really had not thought of. Thought they were done on an individual basis or something. Thanks.

Edited by bobobooie