Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Here I Come

Ironman

• 1 month later...

I finally got my new shotgun, just before my first Tactical Shotgun class. :o What better time to make the transition from the old 870 to the new Simi-Auto. The class went from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. I was short of breath and had a headache by about 10:30 from the drills that we went though to get “warmed up”. After I got over that portion of the training it was all down hill. We did drills that started standing went to prone then to sitting then to knelling then back to standing with one to two shots during each position not to mention reloads. Drills that went from load one-shoot one to load four-shoot four in a relay line that really made you concentrate on reload speed. Then there was the “let’s get dirty” drill where he had us roll on the ground and with each roll you had to fire at the plate and do a reload. We went through about 275 rounds that included bird shot, buck shot and slug. The most surprising thing that happened at the end of the day was the competition between the 10 to 12 shooters that were attending the class. I was one of the winners (low time with a clean run) of the slug shoot out which started at about 100 yards and worked it way into about 50 yards shooting at a pooper. We ran this one 3 times. Then there was the 5 plate speed shoot starting from high ready which I was able to pull off in 2.70 seconds with one miss (another win). I had the most fun this old man has had in a long time. Of course today I can barley walk and my loading thumb feels a little jammed. ;) Just another great day shooting! :D

Jim