Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI 500 primers in SDB

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past - I searched but couldn't find any specifics.

I bought an SDB a year or so ago for loading 9mm. I have worked up my loads with CCI 500 primers so this is what I loaded in the primer tubes. In the 5-600 rounds I've loaded on the SDB I've gotten about 2 out of every 100 primers seated sideways in the primer pocket.

I thought I had read on here and elsewhere that Dillon advises against CCI primers in their presses but like I said, I couldn't find specifics when searching. When I measure the diameter of a CCI 500 primer and compare it to other small pistol or small rifle primers, I found the dimension to be identical. Is this just something I should expect with a progressive press or should I make the effort to work up loads with other primer brands? If I should try other brands, what do you recommend? I see a lot of folks using Winchester Small Rifle for Major 9; is there something special about the Winchester primers that allow them to feed more smoothly in the Dillons? What about Rem Small Rifle (6 1/2)? I use these in other calibers and it would be nice to just use these - has anyone run these through a Dillon and if so, did they work well?

If it matters, I am loading a 124gr FMJ over a maximum book load of Power Pistol, to duplicate my carry load.

Thanks for any help,

Allan

The problem with turned primers on any primer system that works in a back and forward motion is where the primer seater / punch is when the shellplate passes it. Check that the seater / punch is indexing correctly. I find the SDB gets out if whack slowly. Check the primer arm stop screw under the pin that protrudes from the underside of the arm. Adjusting according to the instructions.

You will find the instruction manual either, in the box between the two foam pieces of packaging or under the big box of general crap on the left hand side of the bench. <_<

I used to get about 1 or so out of every hundred primers upside down in my SDB with Federal and Winchester large primers. I just assumed it was a function of the jiggling the press went through sizing the larger nickel cases I used.

Its not been an issue with the 650, except when I've had something come loose and the press jiggles again.