Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW "U" Die Question

nhglyn

Redding 9mm sizer dies have much tighter carbide rings than RCBS.

Glock 9mm chambers are tighter than Sig, CZ, or Beretta. There is no such animal as a "Glocked 9mm case".

Sizer dies are not designed to resize the base of the brass to factory virgin specs. They are designed to size the case enough to chamber reliably in most chambers, but not so much as to overwork the brass. Being that the 9mm is tapered, the higher the pressure, the more the base expands. If the base expands where the carbide can't size it, i.e. close to the extractor cutout, the reload won't chamber.

The U die will size the case more than a standard die. So will a Reding standard die, which has a tighter ring than RCBS. But if you don't put the bottom of these dies right smack against the shellholder, they will not size the case enough. This is a tapered case. the die MUST be against the shellholder to size the case all the way.

I think the problem you guys are having stems from improper die adjustment. Don't be afraid to screw the die all the way down.

Trust me on this, it isn't the resizing die being adjusted too shallow on my press ;) . There is a definate difference in expansion from major pf cases, and the only die that I know will reliably get deep enough on the brass is an EGW U die. The more 9mm open guns there are out there, the more this will be realized. It's not so much that the brass needs to be resized thinner, but the die needs to get deeper on the brass during resizing. My std glock barrels will eat anything I reload with an RCBS die, but my lone wolf barrel pukes on any brass from a major gun not resized completely.

I'm not disputing there is a difference in resizing 9mm major brass, but there are alot of people who think the carbide ring cannot get within an eigth of an inch of the shellholder for some reason and their resized brass consistently fails to chamber.