Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dog Training Under Fire.

young is a relative term, how old is he/she? It will not affect its hearing. However major caution, start this out slowly- many good hunting dogs are ruined by making them gun shy. Best to start out with a cap gun at a distance greater than 50'. If the dog reacts to the noise (positive or negative) don't you react. May sound silly but if you try to console the dog, if they act scared you only reinforce that there is something to be scared about.

Start with making a lot of racket while they are eating. Bang pots and pans, rattle dishes around, that kind of stuff. Get them used to loud noises and have them associate the noise with good stuff.

Once they're not scared of the banging and clanging and they're settled into a training mode (Richard Walters Gun Dog and Water Dog books are excellent by the way), start them with blanks at a distance and gradualy move closer. Take your time and go slow. Always associate the loud noise with something good - food or the retrieve once you get your pup retrieving. You'll need a patient parter to help.

When your dog's not scared of the cap gun or the bumper launcher, start with the shotgun doing the same drill. Start at a distance and move closer.

It will effect their hearing, I've seen a lot of deaf huntin' dogs. ;)

The key is to go slow and associate the noise with good stuff.

Get the books, they are a huge asset.

Take them to a gun club, shotgun only at first. Start WAY WAY back, petting the dog, talking to it and generally having a good time, as the dog becomes comfortable move a little closer. Keep moving closer but ONLY as fast as the dog gets acclimated, really pay attention to the dog and what it's body language tells you. The dog can be acclimated to gun fire easily, IF you do it right.

Take them to a gun club, shotgun only at first. Start WAY WAY back, petting the dog, talking to it and generally having a good time, as the dog becomes comfortable move a little closer. Keep moving closer but ONLY as fast as the dog gets acclimated, really pay attention to the dog and what it's body language tells you. The dog can be acclimated to gun fire easily, IF you do it right.

That's what I did and it worked out fine.

Repeated gunfire will make your dog deaf. If I was a big duck hunter, I would figure out a set of plugs for the dog.