Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 10mm with 40S&W data?

UW Mitch

I have spent a lot of time looking for a S&W610 and thanks to JerryS I now have one. Now that I have moonclips, and my 10mm brass is flying all over the floor, I don't have to worry about it. I shoot in a plate league that doesn't allow 10mm (hammers the plates to hard) so I'd like to use 10mm cases, federal large magnum primers, Rainier Ballistics 180gr bullets, and Titegroup to "down load" my 10mm to 40s&w velocities. With the added case volume, is there any conern with using a recommended 40S&W load in the 10mm case?

Thanks!

Mitch

p.s. I know I could use 40S&W in the 610, but I've already got my press set-up for 10mm, the primers, brass, everything. Just need to redial the powder. And I'm thinking the longer 10mm case puts the bullet closer to the forcing cone to start with (if that even matters).

I shoot in a plate league that doesn't allow 10mm (hammers the plates to hard) so I'd like to use 10mm cases, federal large magnum primers, Rainier Ballistics 180gr bullets, and Titegroup to "down load" my 10mm to 40s&w velocities.

I would asked the league if what you want to do is allowed.

Racerba,

Basically they don't want anything over about a 200 Power Factor. It's not something that written, but a courtesy, as people have been known to shoot the plates right off their hinge brackets! I basically want a downloaded 10mm, but want to make sure it's "safe" to down it.

~Mitch

Racerba,

Basically they don't want anything over about a 200 Power Factor. It's not something that written, but a courtesy, as people have been known to shoot the plates right off their hinge brackets! I basically want a downloaded 10mm, but want to make sure it's "safe" to down it.

~Mitch

Were you unable to find data for Titegroup in 10mm? I'd expect the starting loads ought to be pretty mild.

BTW, I just bought a new 610 (unfluted cylinder 3 3/4" barrel) myself...gets here Tues!

Bart

I believe the max load from Hogdons said 6.0gr, with a starting at 10% below of 5.4gr. But I think 40S&W is significantly below that (5.0gr?).

congrats on your 610! I bet that unfluted cylinder looks wicked cool!

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

I believe the max load from Hogdons said 6.0gr, with a starting at 10% below of 5.4gr. But I think 40S&W is significantly below that (5.0gr?).

congrats on your 610! I bet that unfluted cylinder looks wicked cool!

~Mitch

I think you'd be fine with 5grains. If you think about it, .40 S&W loaded long (I load mine at 1.20") you're getting pretty close to 10mm oal, and the case capacity is probably in the same ballpark. Some people are running under 4gr of Titegroup in .40 long and I haven't heard about them causing problems, so something like 5 ought to be okay in a 10mm.

Thanks...I'll get it on Tues, but the pics were awesome and it's still got the tags attached to the trigger guard...literally new! Can't wait to shoot it. What's better is that my wife is happy because she likes revolvers!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Per my experiments with 200gr and 800X, 40S&W brass 1.135" OAL can make more velocity than 10 mm brass 1.260" OAL.

But with good case support, they both can make more velocity than any common semi auto pistol can deal with.

Even with recoil springs at the limit of human grip to chamber, the slide will still slam the frame.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just saw it and recently read of a related KaBoom! here: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=355722

Guy was loading Red Dot to 40 data in 10mm, and it doesn't sound like a double. There may be some other explanation, but I wouldn't do it.

Thanks for that link! Last year I was lucky enough to score a sweet S&W 610 off the USPSA Classifieds, and I've been shooting light 40S&W and regular 10mm in it! Gives me lots of choices, if I get low on small primers I can load some 10mm ;)