Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting lead

VeryBadshot

Well here goes. Shot in a match this weekend with lead bullets and had one peel lead off both sides. Not going fully in to battery, however enuff for a very painful Bang Click. Grabed the slide and could only move it a few MM's, being still very new and not wanting anything unsafe, when the RO asked what I wanted to do I said "stop, I am done". After what seemed like forever he (the RO) was able to clear the gun. We picked up the round and I went to a table and striped ( the pistol) and what I found was interesting. The bullet had 2 peeled back areas that matched the sides of the feed ramp. If I can find the round I will post some pics along with the feed ramp. Never ever had anything like this happen before....what a bummer. Went on the shoot 3 more stages with no problems.....even did ok. And yes my molly bullets are on back order :angry:

Hope they get here soon!

Edited by VeryBadshot

That stinks. What kind of gun and load?

VBS's gun is a XD, don't remember if 9 or 40. I was ROing him when it happened. Seems the bullets he was using were made of very soft lead and the edges of the feedramp just peeled two barbs that basically acted as hooks and held onto the ramp pretty hard. More than 15 seconds elapsed before I asked him what he wanted to do. He then handed me the pistol and I cleared it by holding on to the slide and giving the frame a pretty good whack from the back.

We're all familiar with the feeling, VBS. It feels like ages when you're trying to clear a malf and nothing happens. Don't worry too much about it. You did shoot well before and after that. Look forward to see you there again next month.

I shoot cast lead exclusively, around 500/week, and have never seen or heard of this. Most interesting. All lead bullets are not created equally, however, as my current supplier's alloy mix with the lead is a beautiful thing. Might as well be jacketed, they are so hard.

Pictures might help us help you to decipher what went wrong.

Thanks for the kind words about my shooting Nemo, and thanks for the save on clearing the gun. I've shot "one or two" lead bullets over the years, even made some and have never seen that before. If I get home from work tomorrow with time I'll throw up some pics.

That was a great stage, I was really looking forward to it :angry2: But in to each live a little rain must fall. And yes I'll see you next month. You have a great club with great people, thanks again for the welcome mat :cheers:

P.S. I think your son and Jeff got ripped off by "that" popper, however they took it like true sportsman :D

Ok if this works.....here is a really crappie pic of the bullet that did me in. Going to read the de-structions on my cam AGAIN tonight and see if I can come up with a better pic:)

ok....how do I put the image here? Wait GF saved me :wub:

post-8033-1187789832.jpg

Edited by VeryBadshot

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

Yeah I'll PM you. Don't want to throw anyone under the bus....and....ahh.....was going to let this kinda die. When I really took a long look at what had gone down I had it bass ackwards. The round took the top of the chamber, where there are 2 90 degee cut outs. The loaded chamber indecator rests or is pushed up by a round. Anyone with a XD will know what I m saying. Well after trying and trying to fit the round my 13 year stepkid walks up, turns it up side down and says it fits now........ :surprise:

So 800 + or - rounds later it does it again$$%#@#%^%^%^

This time not at a match and I clear it without Nemo's Kung Fu (which is very strong). And I then me thinks why could this be a happenin' , so I mic's some rounds and they are short......like so short they could hide under an ID card. I guess the rounds were poping up in the mag and being jammed in to those 90's. So yes i will PM you if you still want to know who made the bullets....but I think this was reloader error. Not bullet maker.

Ahh...yes...the reloader was me :rolleyes:

Edited by VeryBadshot

• 2 months later...

I had three FTF at last month's match which I had managed to duplicate afterwards. Decided to change the firing pin spring and also decided to go whole hog and do something I never even bothered with before: uniform the primer pockets and keep them clean. It's a genuine pain for reloading, but seconds count and positive ignition is absolutely essential. Competition is not the best time for clearance drills.