Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shok Buffs

benos

Started by MANDOWN75 in old ikonboard forum, and resurected here:

Shoc-Buffs

MANDOWN75:

I just got an STI Eagle. Does anyone use Shoc-Buffs in theirs. If so how many and what kind.

kbear38S:

Yes, an EGW. You only need one unless your desire is to shorten your slide stroke.

benos:

Yea, unless you're very experienced at trouble shooting your blaster, just use one. And then if you experience any feeding failures whatsoever after installing the buff, dump it. IMHO, Shortening the stroke on the .40 by adding shok buffs is the number-one jam-causer.

be

kbear38S:

IMHO, Shortening the stroke on the .40 by adding shok buffs is the number-one jam-causer. be

Yep, and even worse on longer case cartridges like .45 and Super. I didn't mean to imply it's a good idea.

warpspeed:

Mandown75,

I shoot an Eagle in 9mm for steel and have one (1) Wilson Shockbuff (from brianenos.com of course). I shoot minor loads with a really light spring and have it there just to make sure. So far, it has not caused any problems at all.

steve223:

Im useing 2 wilson buffs and a 10# wolff recoil spring and a 18# main spring in Kimber 45 L10 gun and no problems (yet!!).

Steve blriehl

Bill:

Steve, why so many? Remember, the shock buff is really a spring, with an associated spring constant and dynamic of its own. If you think about it, that other shock buff just sits there, shortening the slide travel. You would be better advised to use a variable rate spring, or even a heavier spring if frame damage is a problem for your gun. You arent really increasing the protection of the gun.

Is the shorting of travel detremental to operation? I cant see why, unless the slide doesnt have enough velocity, or possibly dwell time at its most rearward point to allow the round to come up to position in the magazine. What exactly happens in the 40short and weak if 2 are in place?

Edited by Erik Warren