Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dateline NBC Reporterette gets outed at DEFCON

ysued

Smug journalists.

I am a lawyer. I get tired of all the "legal ethics" jokes, just like I am sure those of you in the military do not appreciate the "military intelligence" jokes.

What is truly amusing to me is that "journalistic ethics" is an oxymoron.

Yup, trying to crack a computer security convention... bad idea. The number of folks per capita who can spot a social engineering attempt is amazingly high at DEFCON, and even higher amongst the staff (a.k.a. goons).

The current operating theory is that the camera was concealed in a huge locket that she was wearing. When she was shown the security goon room, one of the goons commented on how pretty the locket was. Unlike, oh, _every_ female on the planet, she didn't offer the locket for closer inspection. Another goon asked whose picture was in the locket. There was no picture.

Personally, I think MSNBC was trying to get video of some script-kiddie boasting of his ub3r l33t skillz (making most of it up) in an effort to impress a female. They could turn it into some sort of shock article about the evil haxzors who can take down the siprnet with a gameboy.

I'm not sure why she wanted video of feds at the con. It would have been more entertaining to get video of some of the "representatives" from other governments. A few years back there was a "press" group from a european country that were all very tan, muscular, wore go-fast boots, large dive watches, and had all _new_ camera and sound gear. This year there were parties from asian countries who stood out like sore thumbs.