Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition Seating Die and lead bullets

I have an XL650 and would like to be able to switch between 45 LC 200 gr RNFP and 250 gr RNFP bullets. I currently use the Dillon 3 die set.

How hard will it be to keep the Redding Competition Die clean of lead build up?

Will I loose my "settings" by disassembling the Redding Die?

The Dillon seating die has the seater plug that can be flipped for RN and RNFP bullets. How about the Redding?

FWIW, I use a UniqueTek Micrometer on my powder bar and think it's great.

Thanks

I would still be curious to answers to my questions on the Redding Seating Die

But......

I asked a fellow cowboy for a couple of 200 gr RNFP bullets before we left the match yesterday. He had just bought some reloading components from a vendor. Got to looking at them side by side with the 250's that I load. Although the overall length is different, from the crimp groove to the top of the bullet seems very close to being the same. I don't think I will have to adjust my seating die when switching between bullet weights.

Thanks for looking.

I used the Redding die for 45acp with cast lead. Biggest problem was build up of bullet lube which pretty much prevented the spring loaded seating stem in the die from doing it's job. Had to take it apart after about 500 rounds to clean it out. This is a big part of the reason why I stopped shooting cast lead....

trodrig

Depends on whose bullets you use, the amount of case bell, the condition of your cases (peened over mouths), etc. I've had no residue problems so far. cleaning's pretty easy by design. You just unscrew the micrometer body out of the die. Not as convenient as Dillon, but Redding's still the best game in town by a long shot. Having the bullets well aligned goes a long way to preventing lube buildup since it rarely scrapes off during seating.