Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with RCBS digital scale

I have a RCBS digital scale that has an issue, I would like to know if any of you have seen this before.

This scale is around 10 years old and has never been dropped or anything of that nature.

Here is the problem, let say I put an measure of power on the scale and it equals 4.7 if I let the scale sit for about 10-15 seconds it says 4.8, if I let it sit another 10 seconds it will read 4.9 and so on.

It appears that the first measurement is always correct as I am somewhat anal and get a “second opinion” from my beam scale.

My questions are is this common?

Would it be worth sending in to get fixed?

Is this a sign that it is time to get a new digital scale?

post-11734-1185838765.jpg

Sounds like normal operation to me. When I first bought my 650 I wanted to see how consistant the powder measure was. The scale was showing the measure being a problem. As it turned out it was my RCBS scale and not the powder measure. I replaced it with a Dillon scale. It works better but if I use it for weighing bullets it too gets erratic after a while.

A good pracice is to turn it on and let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so and then calibrate it. Then periodically check it with the check weight. Also, make sure there is no air moving around the scale while you are weighing a charge. An air conditioner, forced air heater or a fan can wreak havoc on it.

I have a RCBS digital scale that has an issue, I would like to know if any of you have seen this before.

This scale is around 10 years old and has never been dropped or anything of that nature.

Here is the problem, let say I put an measure of power on the scale and it equals 4.7 if I let the scale sit for about 10-15 seconds it says 4.8, if I let it sit another 10 seconds it will read 4.9 and so on.

It appears that the first measurement is always correct as I am somewhat anal and get a “second opinion” from my beam scale.

My questions are is this common?

Would it be worth sending in to get fixed?

Is this a sign that it is time to get a new digital scale?

Thanks for the reply Action, I will try your suggestion on letting it sit idle for 30 min and then calibrate it.

Presently I have been calibrating it constantly in every “reloading session” and it seems to waist a lot of my time.

Hopefully trying your method will be the cure! In the mean time I think I will start saving my pesos for a Dillon scale.