Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith rear sight

vrmn1

Do any of you guys have the factory Smith number or a Brownells number for the Super extra tall

rear sight assembly for a 625-3? The older square front sight.

Do they even sell the full assembly or would I have to buy the rear blade and swap it out.

Edited by vrmn1

The blade is easy to change out. Drill the end of the windage screw to remove the swelled end so you can unscrew the nut. In the head of the windage screw is a spring and plunger (it's what makes it click). Look closely and you can rotate the screw so the plunger is right under the blade, trapping it. Now you can slide the blade and screw out of the sight without launching the spring and plunger. Reassemble in basically reverse order and loctite the nut. You can replace the screw and nut and stake it, but it seems every time I do they're too tight or too loose. I prefer just loctiting the nut. No magic or special tools required. Good luck, Tom

Edited by Tom E

No need to drill anything. Turn the windage screw clockwise until it stops. Then turn it more until it breaks. It is designed to break so it can be replaced.

when you take the windage screw out, have it and your hands in a big freezer bag so then the little spring and plunger take off, you have captured them in the bag.

Best thing to do is have the Brownell kit #1 for the sight assembly 078-001-001 Kit #1, It has the parts you need except the blade.

Have fun and have a spare parts kit. Those suckers tend to fly ;)

edit to add: If you call S&W, I bet they will sell you all the parts you need all from the same source.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Thanks guys.

Here is what happened. I had no idea how high the tallest one was. The .194, I had seen them but didn't know how tall it was.

So I looked in Brownells and ordered the highest one they listed the .160.

Well it was not what I was looking for.

It was much taller than what was on my 625-3 though. I put it in today, just the blade. I will see if that works if not I will get the taller one.

Anyways thanks for the info.