Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Cases In 38 Special Dies

Realoading the other night I had to change my tool head over. In my last session I was loading .40. Took the powder measure off then the tool head. Then opened my cabinent and grabed what I thought were my 38 super dies...I guess I only saw "38" and assumed that it was the right one. put a piece of 38 super brass in the resizeing station and pulled the handle. It resizes.... I notice that that case was buldged at bottom and figgure that it was just a bad case. More over to the powder drop pull the handle to get a inital charge.....CRUNCH my 38 super case looks like a 1 quart funnel! I then pull everything apart and found that i Had put the 38/357 tool head on the machine with the 38 super powder funnel. So now I labled all my tool heads and powder funnels. But the interesting thing is that the 38/357 die sizes smaller than the 38 super die. But a 38/357 case has a bullet diameter of .357 and a 38 super .355 case wall thickness? :huh: Guess I could get out the calipers.....

You want fun, have a well-meaning non-reloader give you a five gallon bucket of brass from the range. Mixed 9mm, 40, .38 Super (must have been and IPSC shooter there) and .45. I thought I would go blind before sorting it all, and I still had occasional wrong ones in the mix when I went to reload. Just to make it even more fun, I found a few .380 autos in the 9mm bin when I reloaded.

Another thing...allways check ther headstamp of 38 super cases. Ive been marking the rebate with a felt pen. Other shooters picked up a bunch of brass with my mark on it. but aparently some one else shooting on the range uses the same color on the same place. After I loaded a few hundred I notrice that I had a few super comp cases in the mix

And then there was the class I took where one of hte other shooters was using 9x23 brass while the rest of us shot .38 Super. Never said a thing. I sorted it out when I tried to jam the first 9x23 case itno my .38 Super sizing die. Luckily I'd kept that batch seperate, and hadn't thrown it into the general Super bin.