Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping Cylinders between a 686 and a 686P

sprout

I'd like to branch into shooting IDPA SSR, so I bought a S&W 66 and sent it to Randy Lee. :bow: A friend of mine would also like to shoot revolver, but he's of limited means and neither of us has a legal second revolver. However, he has a 6" 686, and I have a 4" 686P. When I put his six-shot cylinder in my seven-shot gun with the original seven-shot yoke, it fits, it seems to time and lock up as well as the seven-shot cylinder, and the barrel/cylinder gap is between 0.006 and 0.008 (strangely, my cylinder won't even fit in his gun). Is there anything else I should check before I test it with live ammo? Are there any short or long term consequences I should worry about? Thanks for the help.

Hey Sprout, I did the same thing with a 686P and a 586 cylinder. Had to try a couple to get one to fit but sometimes you get lucky. As to problems down the road, other than getting addicted to revos there shoud be none. When Bauman (sp) came out with his 7 shot cylinder that just swapped with the standard N frame 357 It did not cause much of a problem with the frame itself. Speedstick had one and he could tell you of anything going on. I just through my 6 shot in my 686P and shot it. You might go light at first. One in the cylinder fire then if all is ok go for 6.

Hey Sprout, I did the same thing with a 686P and a 586 cylinder. Had to try a couple to get one to fit but sometimes you get lucky. As to problems down the road, other than getting addicted to revos there shoud be none. When Bauman (sp) came out with his 7 shot cylinder that just swapped with the standard N frame 357 It did not cause much of a problem with the frame itself. Speedstick had one and he could tell you of anything going on. I just through my 6 shot in my 686P and shot it. You might go light at first. One in the cylinder fire then if all is ok go for 6.

Thanks Bubber. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

Well, I tried 6 rounds single action, six rounds slow double action, and twelve rounds fast double action. No problems! Thanks for the encouragement; looks like my buddy's got a gun.

Well, I tried 6 rounds single action, six rounds slow double action, and twelve rounds fast double action. No problems! Thanks for the encouragement; looks like my buddy's got a gun.