Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indy 500 getting rained Out

bountyhunter

I did some reading on the subject after my post. Another issue at Indy (and other oval races), bigger than traction, is visibility. The rooster tails and spray, according to some, would make it like racing in a fog. Bad news.

Either way, it is still, IMO, the most exciting racing event in north america. If there is rain possible, you make sure you stay in front because you don't know if the race ends on lap 120 or 200. It is kinda like posting here - say what you need to say and say it early, you never know when a thread will be shut down. :ph34r::huh::D

Do any of those other sports wind up their machines to 230 mph and then throw them into a (relatively) unbanked turn (the straights at Daytona are banked more than the turns at Indy)? I really don't know, but I'd wager that the answer is no.

F1 comes close on the same turn: http://www.formula1.com/race/circuitmap/776.html

Sure, they "only" go up to 343 km/h (213 mph) on the front straight, but check out the G forces at the end of the back straight -- 5! I'm a lifelong Indiana resident and I still don't believe that the Indy 500 is the "greatest racing spectacle in the world". For starters, the cars look almost the same as they did in the 70's (very square). I was flipping between the Indy 5 and Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, and F1 cars truly blow the IndyCars out of the water... superior power-to-weight ratio, handling, and modern looking aerodynamics. :ph34r: They also have the awesome side-effect of sounding a lot cooler since IndyCars are rev-limited to 10,300 rpm and F1 is 19,000. Honda demonstrated that a completely F1 legal car is capable of over 250 mph last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjoB_es0t_Y <-- Crazy!

Sooo looking forward to the US Grand Prix RAIN OR SHINE at the Indy Speedway in 2 weeks! If you live in Indy BigDave, I'd highly recommend checking it out (that is, if you won't be at the IN Sectional)! :)

I was flipping between the Indy 5 and Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, and F1 cars truly blow the IndyCars out of the water... superior power-to-weight ratio, handling, and modern looking aerodynamics. :ph34r: They also have the awesome side-effect of sounding a lot cooler since IndyCars are rev-limited to 10,300 rpm and F1 is 19,000. Honda demonstrated that a completely F1 legal car is capable of over 250 mph last year.

I'm a big F1 fan. The cars are engineering marvels, but look what that technology costs a "good" F1 team. Unfortunately, Tony George can not afford to let that happen with the IRL. :(

I was flipping between the Indy 5 and Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday, and F1 cars truly blow the IndyCars out of the water... superior power-to-weight ratio, handling, and modern looking aerodynamics. :ph34r: They also have the awesome side-effect of sounding a lot cooler since IndyCars are rev-limited to 10,300 rpm and F1 is 19,000. Honda demonstrated that a completely F1 legal car is capable of over 250 mph last year.

I'm a big F1 fan. The cars are engineering marvels, but look what that technology costs a "good" F1 team. Unfortunately, Tony George can not afford to let that happen with the IRL. :(

+1 Although, I am a fan of "here are the rules, spend whatever you like" (like it used to be with a united CART), F1 budgets are out of sight. I met a guy locally who works with the teams and asked him what the difference between IRL and F1 was and he said it was the money. Some of those teams will spend on a single race what one IRL team will spend in a season.

+1 Although, I am a fan of "here are the rules, spend whatever you like" (like it used to be with a united CART), F1 budgets are out of sight. I met a guy locally who works with the teams and asked him what the difference between IRL and F1 was and he said it was the money. Some of those teams will spend on a single race what one IRL team will spend in a season.

(un)fortunately, that is going to change next year: possible rule changes for '08. They are really trying to cut costs and increase the amount of passing. And I thought the engine development freeze was lame... I want to see the most technologically advanced piece of machinery, not some crippled one just because some exotic material was banned! :(