Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Shotgun

Tactical Timmy

How do you score a single slug hit on paper with EZ?

thx

adam

Just define the stage as using which ever type of paper target and make the total number of hits required on the stage total out to where you only need one hit on the paper of your choice.

Stage Definition: post-2179-1180219940.gif

Score Sheet: post-2179-1180219950.gif

The dafult with slug is to only count 1 hit, but the stage can specify 2 hits to count.

The default with buckshot is to count 2 hits per paper target even if only a single shot is fired.

• 9.5.1 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, scoring
    paper targets must be shot with a minimum of one round each,
    with the best hit to score in the case of slug ammunition or with
    the best two hits to score in the case of buckshot ammunition, i.e.
    the two highest scoring strikes of any pellets from any buckshot
    rounds fired. Metal targets must fall to score. Frangible targets
    must break with a visible piece missing or separated from the
    original target to be counted for score.

It isn't according to the rules & theory, but it works really well in practice. When we run our club level long gun matches (rifle/shotgun), we use EZ-Winscore setup as a plain ole' pistol match. We designate all slug paper targets as 1 round minimum and assign 10 points per scored hit on the COF descriptions (this is the point value I feel a slug oughta' be scored at anyway). To achieve this inside EZ-Winscore, we enter 2 of whatever value the single scored slug hit is. This satisfies EZ-Winscore and allows the slugs to be worth the point value they oughta' be worth (IMO anyway).

BTW, 10 point slug hits are the next big change USPSA needs to make happen IMHO.

The dafult with slug is to only count 1 hit, but the stage can specify 2 hits to count.

The default with buckshot is to count 2 hits per paper target even if only a single shot is fired.

• 9.5.1 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, scoring
    paper targets must be shot with a minimum of one round each,
    with the best hit to score in the case of slug ammunition or with
    the best two hits to score in the case of buckshot ammunition, i.e.
    the two highest scoring strikes of any pellets from any buckshot
    rounds fired. Metal targets must fall to score. Frangible targets
    must break with a visible piece missing or separated from the
    original target to be counted for score.

Then you design the stage accordingly such that the slug targets will only be engaged with slugs, and the buckshot targets will only engaged with buckshot.

BTW, 10 point slug hits are the next big change USPSA needs to make happen IMHO.

That would be a rulebook change first, wouldn't it? I don't see any current allowance for 10pt slugs on paper in the Jan 2004 Shotgun rulebook.

I have two big things I want done in the next big point release of ezws:

1. Give me one cmdbutton that I can press after having calculated finals that will print out a single report showing who won what in the various divisions, similar to the attached. This would become a MD's Awards Ceremony Script that he or she could use to assign awards to names and simply read off at the ceremony. Such a feature would be based on the Nationals Awards Structure and/or the Club Program Manual and ideally would be customizable locally, though I'd gladly sacrifice customization just to get it out there initially.

(Hmm, I don't see the "attachments" features right now, so here it is this way: http://georgiaipsc.com/2007a6ch.pdf)

2. Full programmatic support of USPSA Multigun, supporting disparate PF's in a stage, enhanced value steel, and multi-gun scoresheets; that is, all the things that make multigun such a miserable manual exercise right now.

That would be a rulebook change first, wouldn't it?

Yes it would and it would make a lot of sense considering the huge PF (500+PF) of a reduced recoil slug compared to a pip-squeakin' (320PF) major rifle!

I don't see any current allowance for 10pt slugs on paper in the Jan 2004 Shotgun rulebook.

That is correct and it needs fixin' bigtime IMHO. Club level multi-gun matches DO NOT have to follow the USPSA rulebook to the letter seeing as there are no classifiers for long guns, therefore no mission count and any reason to adhere to Level 1 requirements whatsoever (other than wanting to that is).

Until the rules are fixed things like this will have to be done this way if they are to be done at all ;-)

BTW, add 10 point slugs on paper to wish list item #2 Bill, and I am with you all the way :-)

How would that work? I'm guessing A=10, B and C=8, and D=4?

Exactly!

Considering the size hole a slug makes in the target and how large it's PF is, those are very appropriate points rewards IMO.