Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luepold Mr/t 3~9x M3 Scope....err

cjennings

Anyways, I bought a new Luepold MR/T 3~9x M3 scope. The scope looks awesome But the scope has 3 versions, designated by the M1,M2 & M3 markings. The M3 is 1 minute elevation clicks, 1/2 minute wind age.

On a rifle as accurate as this one, when I went to sight it @100 yards, the click change is WAY to much. Now realistically, I will mostly be shooting within 100 yards, 300 is about the most at the local competitions. But @ 300 yards that’s about 3~4 inches of elevation change per click, easily putting me outside the A box. I can live the adjustments in the close range, but I think I am really limiting myself with the scope for anything outside of that. And really, in completion I really don’t see myself making any turret adjustments often, more likely to do holdovers. For close range I am looking at a side mount Doctor optic for the 10~25 yard shots.

The other thing I did not get was an illuminated recticle. I am hitting myself for that right now.

Well that does it, in writing this I have decided that I am going to return this scope and get either a 1/2 minute or 1/4 minute leupold. The other scope that is in at the store is a NightForce 2.5~10X24mm NXS with the illuminated FC-2 recticle.

Link to the nightforce -

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/?catid=1&viewitem=150

SO my question... Anybody using the MK4 LR/T 4.5-14X50 or 3.5-10X40mm and how is the eye relief and finding targets rapidly as compared to say the 2.5-8X36 MR/T I am thinking about changing to with the 1/2 minute adjustments and illuminated recticle?. The book says

MR/T – 3.7(low) – 3.0(high) on the 2.5-8x36mm

LR/T – 4.7(low) – 3.4(high) on the 3.5-10x40mm

LR/T – 4.5(low) – 3.6(high) on the 4.5-14x50mm

Thoughts comments. anything. (holy ramble)

What are you going to use the gun for?

If it's for 3 Gun your scope choices are not in the norm.

Sorry, I should have qualified. I work at state / federal law enforcement/military training center (ranges galor), I am actually on the fire dept on base. Anyways, our ranges are anything from far to close. I run a dot sight already and I am looking for something that will reach out to 300yrs pretty easy. Alot of what we 'play'with here is a mix of knock down targets, but then also sharp shooting excersises. The ability to have a scope that has a little more than 3X maginification is a great help. I was all sold on a TA11... but it just seems to limit me on the 300+ shots where I am trying to group. I know for any real 3 gun it would be perfect, but I am trying to handicap myself with a scope that will do a little of both. I will retain a doctor sight that I will place on offset mount for the real close stuff.

Alright, after some consideration and playing with another TA11.... I have decided the NightForce 2.5~10X24 with the illuminated FC-2 recticle is the ticket.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/?catid=1&viewitem=150

You are going to shoot 3 gun? Most of your ranges are 100yds and less? Field of view is king in 3 gun and those higher power vairables dont have any. Seldom will you see anything over 5x on a 3gun rifle and we shoot to 3 or 400 yds. Look for something in the 1x-4x vairable with at least 75 ft fov on 1x at 100yds. If you like Night force look at the 1-4 x24 NXS.-----------Larry

Edited by lkytx