Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STAY AWAY FROM "SPORTSMAN STEEL SAFES"

Jeffro

Just a warning.  Ordered a safe from "Sportsman Steel Safe Co."  The specs of the unit were posted on their web page, and I spoke to a salesman to confirm them (with the webpage up during the conversation).  Placed the order and they hit my credit card for the deposit THAT DAY.  The safe was delivered weeks later.  BIG SAFE (well over 1000 pounds).  Had it put in my basement.  When I got it off the pallet and unwraped (after the safe movers left), the wall and door thickness was not what I ordered.  I called them and they said they changed the specs on the website and that model to thinner walls and door,  AFTER my order.  They made mine to the new specs, and ignored the specs that we agreed to.  They gave me a bunch of crap doubletalk, but wouldn't discuss remedy.  Luckly it was put on my VISA, and they are interceeding, and the Attorney General of the State was contacted.

BE FOREWARNED about them, THEY ARE NOT FOLKS OF THEIR WORD.

Jeff

I'm sorry for your troubles.

I will say that a lot of the safes on the market are a joke, construction-wise.  At least you had the good sense to check and know what you've got.  

I bought a name-brand safe and thought I was pretty hot stuff until I saw just how thinly it was constructed.  What's the point of having a 1/4"  or 5/8" door, if the sidewalls are so thin that anyone with drill and a sawzall can zip the side open?  Yeah, it'll stop a casual thief, but it won't stop a pro for very long...

Eric,

I feel that the safe is ONLY to slow down a thief.  I have a rather sophisticated security system, with satellite backup/dispatch (for the smart ones who think cutting the phone lines helps!), if they cut the phone lines, it dispatches by satellite.  I have security TO and IN my safes, so the safe is just ONE of my security safeguards.  However, you are 100% correct.  Burglars rarely go in the door of a safe.  They go in via the sides or back.  As you wisely observed, all the relockers, locking lugs, double locks, reinforced door frames, etc., are only as good as the wall of the safe is strong!  

Remember guys (and ladies), that no matter how good your safe, it should only be ONE component to your security plan, NOT the entire plan.  

Sorry about the "lecture".  As you gathered, I feel strongly about security.            

Jeff