Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag drops out

Chris40

I need help I got my new sti competitor 38 super and I have some sv mags ever time I shoot the mag falls out but if I use the sti big stick mags they work. The mag seats in and I can not pull them out can you give some ideas. My hand is not hitting the mag button I tryed to shoot it strong hand and the mag would fall out.

Are you sure you are not hitting it and just not realizing it? If you have a screw on extended button, try taking the button off and see if you can duplicate the problem. Also, how light of a mag catch spring do you have? Could it be so light the the recoil is jarring it? Maybe the stick stays in 'cause they usually take a tad longer to start falling out.

Its been said before, that the SV and and STI mag release catch openings are at little  bit diffrent heights and that SV mags may not work in STIs or vise versa. Lots of people get them to work either way but make sure that the mag is engaging the mag release catch and there is enough tension on the mag release spring.  

Here it is....

http://www.stiguns.com/faq.html

probably just a sales tactic to get you to buy STI mags

• 1 year later...

I have had the same problem with my brand new STI EDGE 45. Chris from STI has the solution.

It seems that they found a problem about a month ago (Mar 04) with the mag release. Some mags will drop on the first shot. Others function as designed. It seem that some mags are hitting the mag release from the inside when being fired causing the drop. This has to do with the variations of the magazine cutous.

Chris sent me pix of how to modify the mag release to prevent the problem. A serious bevel on catch side opposite the lock does the trick. They did the modification with a dremel tool.

All new mag releases manufactured by STI after March 2004 have the modification.

He also said if I didn't want to or couldn't do the mod, they would send me a new mag release, free of charge.

I can email ( agyoung@bellsouth.net ) the mod pix or contact chris@stiguns.com for further info.

Great help from a great manufature. Something you don't find anymore.