Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Briley Linkless Barrel

FXHart

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of barrel?  What advantages (or disadvantages) would not having a link pin do for you?

As you may have guessed I'm looking to get some work done to my Colt 1991-A1 and this is one of the things that I find interesting...

Hi All,

Yeah it's the Briley one, I should have made that a little more clear (my bad).  From my understanding of it, it's basically a ramped barrel and instead of the link in the front it's a slot machined in the metal that has the same angle that a link would move.

I've emailed Briley about it some time ago and it sounds promising, but I would like to ask others with their experiences with it (if any).

-Frank-

There are several shooters at our local club that use them in limited guns.  I can say that the early ones (years ago) were prone to breaking the barrel bushing (looks like a 5/8 ferrule) but I believe that has been fixed.  

The ones I test fired definitely recoiled less than a standard barrel.  Don't ask me why.  The guns we compared (both STI) were identical with that exception.  

Maybe someone with more Limited experience (BE ?) can post about this... I'd like to hear it since if I EVER get away from open class I would probably go with the linkless setup.

Thanks for the info Brett,

There's so much you can do to a 1911 it's mind boggling.  I want to be careful with what I do to my gun because I'm not made of money (it's a very expensive hobby!).

I've heard good things about Briley's work so I'll have them put the barrel in along with fitting of their spherical bushings.

Also you made mention about breaking the barrel bushings and I came across a neat little recoil plug on EGW's site that's basically a reverse plug but allows bushings to be used (http://www.egw-guns.com/parts/parts_revplugs1.htm)

And (on a side note) CQB Products sells a Briley made 1911 that kind of has the same set up (http://www.cqbproducts.com/MKC1911.htm)