Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly Paste Causes Barrel Rusting?

Phred7

I have tried a search but didn't come up with anything. Any info on the use of moly paste (Hoppes) causing rusting of the barrel/rifling? I mentioned using the moly paste to a friend and he said it causes rusting a/c it is hydroscopic.

Any info much appreciated. ;)

Moly IS hygroscopic. Is the Hoppes paste a problem? I don't know the answer to that. I used moly bullets in rilfes several years ago and had more problems than benefit, so I won't touch it anymore.

Cleaning pistol barrels doesn't actually help that much when compared to rifle barrels.

As Wil said, cleaning can even be harmful but some of that is due to the harmful chemicals we use in addition to brushing the barrel.

I did very minimal cleaning on a Colt 1/9" 5.56 barrel and it lasted over 8,000 rounds with the South African military surplus but when it went it sucked badly...

I now scrub the new barrel with Sweets 7.62 every time I shoot it but only enough to get the crud out. Maybe 20-25 strokes at best.

I rarely scrub my pistol barrels especially the new SV "coated" AET barrel.

I have an older Schuemann that has over 50,000 rounds through it (mostly fmjs) that now has to be scrubed to stay accurate as the rifling is not very sharp and it holds allot of fouling.

It throws some nice keyholes. When you see them and look into the barrel you can see why....