Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reciprocating AR-15 bolt carrier knob

Carlos

Anyone see the USPSA 3-gun Nationals hightlights on American Shooter? They featured an open AR-15 (semi auto) with a knob attached to the carrier - a knob that moved with the carrier the way a bolt handle on the M-1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A or AK-47 moves. If you have ever shot one of these guns, you know what I mean.  I'd like to attach such a knob to one of my semi-auto AR-15 carriers.

Yes, the charging handle works on my AR. I do not want to use that. I want a reciprocating knob like the one at the Nationals.  I saw that manual action AR (essentially an AR converted to a straight pull manual action). I do not want that. I want my semi auto to remain a semi auto. With a bolt knob. On the right side.

The carrier metal is quite hard and I would rather not break the flash-chromed coating in the carrier bore. One piece of advice received so far:

"You can burn the threads into the carrier with an EDM threader. Not too many shops have them so you will have to call around.  A good plastic mold repair shop should have one"

As for weight increase - that does not matter.  JP uses a carrier milled from 7075-T6 aluminum. Its light.  On the other hand, I have seen military M-16 carriers that weighed much more than the Colt ar-15 sporter carrier I have. I plan on turning an aluminum bolt handle. I will not weigh much.  Of course, I will also have to mill a slot in the upper - but that is merely anodized aluminum.  The knob will also have to be removeable for cleaning or replacement of the carrier.

Anyone know of a suitable machine shop that will burn and tap the hole I need? Its only one hole, it should not cost much. Thanks.

(Edited by Carlos at 1:28 pm on Feb. 25, 2003)

Carlos,

Scott Medesha does this mod on the upper and the bolt carrier for AR10SR25's as well as AR's.

I have a friend here at Quantico who bought the tooling and did his own....  Of course, he has access to the mother land of gunsmiths machine shops too.

Tom