Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data 40s&w With 4.25 Barrel

Leo

I have just purchased a S&W M&P 40 (4.25 inch barrel)and I am looking for the "load of the Century" for the IPSC major power factory 165000 and IDPA Power Factor 125000. I am a Production/Stock pistol shooter hopeful. I see alot of data already on line but I hope to see formulas for the ingredient I have on hand.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Berrys Bullet tips 180 grain Hp and Fp.

TiteGroup powder

Federal pistol primers

OAL?

Crimp?

Powder weight?

If you are going to shoot USPSA Production division and IDPA Stock Service Pistol division, then you only need to load to Minor power factor. Which is great...nice and safe...accurate...soft shooting...easy on you and on the gun.

I'd suggest 3.6g of TG with the 180g bullets, at a length of 1.135

Your crimp is simply to take the flare out of the brass. It should equal your bullet diameter (0.400) plus the the thickness of your case walls (about 0.010) multiplied by two...since you will be measuring two case walls when you measure crimp.

So, crimp to around 0.420 ...to ensure a smooth transition you might crimp to 0.418

Any more than that and you risk cutting into the thin plating of your bullets (plated bullets aren't as tough as jacketed bullets).

The crimp doesn't really hold the bullet in the case. It's the friction fit of the rest of the bullet and brass wall that hold the bullet in place.

I really like using a Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die) for 40, it not only sets the crimp...it also fully sizes the loaded round. This squeezes the brass tight to the bullet (careful with this is you ever reload with soft lead bullets...which might be take too much squeeze).

The above load is pretty light. I'm not sure with the M&P...you may need to go with a lighter recoil spring to get good ejection.