Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My guess is the date-conflict with the Aware... Aware was closer for most of them (and easier to get to - getting to Medford involves either driving or puddle-jumper airplanes), had more "names" for better competition, and arguably had tougher stages.  Most of them are tuning up for the Factory Gun Nats, so they probably wanted to maximize trigger time, minimize travel time, and face as big a challenge as possible with a week to go.  

Of course, it could just be they were scared to take on Travis  <grin>

Actually, Area-1 had 12 stages in *3* days... you shoot two and had one off.  Only problem is, the squad assignments were not handed out until the shooters meeting on the 10th, so, basically everyone had to plan their travel to be there all 4 days (Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat), even if your squad was only scheduled to shoot two of them (Thu-Fri or Fri-Sat).  

The match could easily have been done in two days... and/or, it would have been easy enough to tell people their schedules, so they could save an extra day of vacation time/hotel costs/etc.

More learning for next year...

Bruce

Bruce,

why is this such a persistent problem in Area 1, Area 2 and Area 4? All other Areas now have shooter (and wallet!!!) friendly scheduling, INCLUDING the Nationals! Area 4 had a shooter-friendly schedule last year, this year they went back to a wait-a-lot-and-shoot-a-bit match!?! There's gotta be a reason, I just can't see one!

--Detlef

Dunno - part of it may be a regional thing, where clubs/sections/areas give their shooters what they want.

I can only speak for Area-1, but... since at least 1994, up until 2002, the Area-1 matches have been some flavor of a 2.5-day schedule, in which you shoot 3 half-days, you work one half-day, and you're off a half-day.  We have done this for a couple of reasons...

--  it allows us to accomodate a variety of schedule needs (they people who can't shoot during the week, the people who can't be there on Sunday, etc).

--  it allows us to make it so "when you shoot, all you do is shoot" - on your half-day work period, you're doing the taping/setting/painting, etc for squads, and when you're shooting, someone else is doing it for you.  It not only makes for a nicer shooting experience, it (in MHO) helps reinforce the idea that putting on a match depends on a lot of help from a lot of people.

--  And, it allows us to staff the stages with competitors, which minimizes the number of people who have to pull out of the match to be an RO.  We can have consistent officiating throughout the match, and still allow the ROs to "shoot through" the real match for score.

I'm told that our model would not be acceptable in other parts of the country... but, I also know that (at least here in Washington), our bunch is pretty social, and they would be unhappy if we scheduled a match where you were only there for a half day, and never got a chance to visit with all your long-lost friends.

$.02

Bruce