Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Westeren Powders Tac

ryan45kim

Has anybody tried this powder?

I would like to find one powder to load 223, 308, and 260rem with.

I would prefer to find a ball powder, it just meters so much better then any stick powder I’ve tried.

Now the question is has anyone tried TAC? Rumor has it that this is the powder that Black Hills uses to load there 77gr 223 for the military.

How sensitive is it to temperature ect?

How accurate is it?

Anything else you could tell me about this powder would be appreciated.

Something *like* TAC is what BH uses... strong rumor is that it's a cannister grade version (i.e. special blend not 100% equivalent) of something similar to TAC, but not the same TAC you buy off the shelf.

Some folks have done pretty well w/ the stuff in .223 Rem; fewer have had good luck w/ it in .308. Some guns like it, some don't. .260 Rem... too fast. For that caliber you're looking more into the Big Game/ Hunter range burn rate (equivalent to RE-19/4350 or thereabouts) or even slower in special situations (long barrel, heavy bullets, etc.

About the only powder I know of that people literally use w/ good success in all three rounds, is Varget. Varget behind a 69 or 77gr bullet, tack driver. Varget behind a 155, 168, or 175gr bullet, tack driver. Varget behind a 140gr bullet... tack driver.

YMMV,

Monte