Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate Practical Shooting Fundamentals Training

Nemo

Shoot USPSA Revolver!

I know, I know… “I remember seeing one of those in a museum once…” or “My grandpa had one of those”. I hear that kind of comment all the time, but let me tell you, it sure feels good not to show up at the bottom of the results after shooting a match with one of these antiquities! :)

On October of 2005 I decided to start learning how to shoot the old 625 that had been sitting in my safe for some years. I started attending local matches and shooting classifiers and in 2006 also shot some major matches, namely the FL State, FL Section and the Summer Blast.

It has been a super cool ride! There’s something special about the USPSA revolver shooters bunch (maybe as in Special Ed ;) ) Most shooters would help and guide others, especially new guys, but the wheelgunners are a breed apart, a fraternity. Thanks Sam, Cliff, Luke, Mike, Dan, Phil, Gary and all others that have helped me through my very bumpy road, answering questions and giving pointers. In part thanks to you all (y’all), old, fat and slowER, I am currently at 74.8% in revo division, my highest classification ever in any division.

I didn’t get to shoot much last December and because of friendly local competition I shot my two local January ‘07 matches with my skinnygun in PSSD. I had never shot a 1911, or any other semi for that matter, as good as I did in those two matches. I felt that calling my shots was so much better than what I remember, as well as my transitions. I have never before felt so efficient in my stage breakdown and my movement.

An M-class friend told me “I don’t remember you shooting a pistol that good”. It was that whole year of shooting my wheelgun - I replied without thinking too much about it just to say something, but it is 100% the truth.

Think Limited-6 making +/-2 second reloads. It makes you differently appreciate EVERY SINGLE SHOT FIRED. It will make you call your shots. No ifs, ands or buts! One shot missed is 16.7% of your ammo wasted and most likely an extra +/-2 sec reload. All those difficult reloads you want to make them while going somewhere, thus you get so much better at having your feet going to that next spot, far or near, all the time.

Almost forgot the trigger… I say that my trigger finger has learned new discipline. Now is not just “flicking that switch” to make the blaster go bang, now it has to “pull a lever” while keeping those sights there. The revolver will teach you a better appreciation of the trigger control/sight alignment concept interaction. During my brief 2007 outing with the 1911 making the shot break while the sights where correct was SO easy! :D

If you want to get a hardcore practice of every practical shooting fundamental, pick up a wheelgun for a while. When you shoot your semi again, you’ll see what I mean.

B)

Edited by Nemo

• 4 weeks later...

I couldnt agree with you more Nemo...We had dinner together at the Blast...The revo crowd is a great group to learn with. The Summer Blast was my first and only major match last year but I also shot a few local matches as well...I learned alot and really did see my auto scores go up..I noticed a much improved trigger feeling when shooting the auto. Hope to see you at the Blast this year.

Nemo, just caught this thread! You make some excellent points.

Those who become reasonably proficient at shooting IPSC/USPSA matches with a revolver (which some have called "the ultimate handgun challenge," for good reason!) typically find they can shoot any type of handgun, in any of the action shooting sports, pretty darn well.

Revolver Division has welcomed many new roundgunners over the past couple years--we are growing this thing much more rapidly than anyone could have predicted. But there is still plenty of room for many more converts! You will become a better shooter for it. :)