Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv Powder Equivalents

I like using VV powders as much as the next guy. I have been using a 125gr Zero JHP with VV N340 for a while and like it. I have also used Titegroup and my groups were not tight. I want to use N340 or maybe try one of the others, 320,330 etc. but the expense. What are some alternatives with the same qualities as the VV line?

Thank you

"What are some alternatives with the same qualities as the VV line?"

-not to be a smart ass, but there are no companies with the same overall quality as V V.

Why? The Finns are extremists when it comes to their powder. They even go so far as to own specialized cotton farms that grow specific strains of cotton to V.V.'s specifications in order to control the consistency and quality of their single based powders.

HOWEVER, there are alternatives. Single based powders used for Open and available in the US include 4756 and 7625, among others.

I found a fast burning (i.e. - NOT open Division) single based powder that I am using as an alternative to N320: I am still testing Solo 1000.

Regards,

C.

I don't load the small calibers for major so most of my loads are light to moderate for IDPA, IPSC and steel plate use. I have used the following powders with excellent results:

9mm - WSF & Bullseye

38 Super - W-231

38 Spec/357 Mag - W-231, Bullseye, American Select

40 S&W - WST, American Select

45 ACP - WST, American Select

W-231 burns clean in my 38 Super loads and in the heavier 38 Special loads. American select and WST burn clean in 38/357, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the link to the factory load data for short .40 Major/180 grn with Solo 1000:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ost&id=6758

and if that does not work, the data seems to state:

40 S&W Cal.:

180 grn Sierra JHP @ MINIMUM OAL of 1.125 (or more), Solo 1000 4.3 to 4.8 grns; max velocity 980 FPS (176 PF) at pressure of 28,100 C.U.P.

Did not chrono the .40/180s I loaded before I found the data, but i believe I used 4.5 grns and at least 1.150+ OAL and had good accuracty to 50 meters (Star 180 FMJ) - which would coincide with the data above as a safe load.

They are not showing any 9mm data for the 147grn with Solo 1000 - but, then again, I was using V V N-310 for 147s in 9mm - so just because its not listed does not mean I would not try it.

Just to add my 2 cents, if you like n340 try IMR SR-7625. I use 5.0 with a 124/125 for a minor 9x19 load. It burns relatively cleanly and is very consistent over the chrony. This is with WSR primers at about 1.140". In my experience this powder needs a little compression which I get with most bullets I have tried. It also worked well for my 38sc open loads, but gave me some annoying pressure issues when the temp climbed above 100F. I have found that VV powders are nothing if not consistent. If you are willing to tolerate a little filth, there the Accurate Arms powders are great in my experience. I really liked AA#2 in 40, and AA#7 is great in open if you can take the black sand residue. Personally, I really like 3n37 but it leaves a little unburned granules and burns a little hot, but I love the fact that it performs the same for me regardless of temperature and lot.