Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tap

thejoe

Hitting Real Low on a "Double Tap" could be a Recoil spring that is WAY to Heavy and the Muzzle is "diving" on the Second Shot, Some from a Poor Grip on the Gun. I run the Lites spring I Can and Still have the Gun Feed consistently. went from a 14lb to 11lb in my STI and shot group close up by 6 inches on the My "Double Tap" at 10 Yards. BTW I like the WOrd "Doubel Tap" ,one of my favorite ranges

Edited by nmipsc

• 1 month later...
I've read several places that the ideal drill for someone carrying a CCW is to practice drawing from hidden and hitting the target with 2 aimed shots in under 2 seconds. With that in mind I've been working on coming up with a "course" if you will (using the term loosely) to focus on this skill. The problem I have is that I always hit dead center with the first round and about two feet low (at about 5 yards) with the second. Also lately I've been noticing that courses often have targets that seem to require two hits in the A ring per target and a lot of shooters are basically "double tapping" these targets and moving on. The question is are there any specific tips that I should keep in mind while learning this skill?

joe

Bit of history on double taps from a So. Calif ex-LEO. Double taps were taught as part of the three shots fired in the "fail safe" shoots by my Dept. Two to the body (center mass) and one to the head. One sight picture + 2 shots as closely together as possible= double tap. After years and years it was proven that two sight pictures with the two shots were more accurate and as fast. Most LEO's (at the time) did not shoot on a regular basis and the double tap stuff went by the wayside as well it should have. It was replaced by the "flash" front sight picture for each of the two body shots.

Use the sights and lots of ammo as you practice what these folks are telling you. Just wanted to tell you that double taps are a fact, just not well thought of and used anymore. :cheers: