Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Ar Question(s)

CZ223

I want get started in some of the local 3 gun competitions and I would like to know what I need for the rifle and if the 2 ARs that I currently own are suited to the job. The first gun is an Oy Arms PCR-16, flat top with a free float tube, Mark Brown custom rear sight and a flip up front sight. I also have a Leupold 4x12 with Mil dot reticle that I can mount on it. The other rifle is an Oympic match Target model with at least a 20 inch and probably a 24 inch barrel on it. I really can't remember right now. I suspect that that rifle is probably too heavy for this game. Now, I know some of you guys don't like Olympic guns but, mine seem to work fine for me right now and, it is what I have. If I get into this and they fail to function I will upgrade to something like a Bushmaster, RRA, S&W, DPMS or what have you. For now I would like to know what you guys think I need to start and How I should set up my rifle. I realize that I will need a bunch of mags that work in my gun but, beyond that what do you guys consider basic equipment/setup.

your pcr 16, sounds like it will suffice for either an optic rifle or iron rifle. for an optic, choose a scope of lesser magnification, 1-5, 1-4, etc. for iron use consider thinning your front post to at least .050, less would be better but it becomes susceptible to bending and needs a protector of some sort. Also the sight radius of a normal 16" setup is pretty short, (DOWN,my 16" brethren :lol: ), alot of iron shooters move the front sight out to the end of the barrel, myself included, and i shoot an 18" and 20". when it comes to irons, more sight radius is better.

Don't go the norm, and shoot optic, come join us iron shooters and have alot of fun and impress your friends, that you can hit targets at 300+ yards with iron sights.

Other than that Kelly guy in Mesa, ;):wub: we're all pretty nice guys, and are willing to help out anyone.

Trapr

lotsa love for ya Kelly,...................... :lol: