Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can someone recommend a recoil spring

Bill Schwab

I am new to open, and 38 Super, so can someone give me a reasonable guess on what recoil spring weight I should be using?

It's a singlestack open gun built by Matt Mclearn.  Colt Gov't Model, with slide chopped to Commander length, 38 Super, it takes Gov't length springs.  Sports a fully supported cone Clark barrel with dual port Clark comp.  Slide has been lightened, described as moderately lightened by the previous owner who said it was designed to be able to shoot both steel and major loads.  Stripped slide weighs in at just under 12 oz. (my 45's slide is 13 oz in change with the rear sight installed).  Let me describe the lightening: rear of slide (where the rear sight would be) is lopped off, top radius of slide flattened, scallops (similar to a blood groove on a knife) tastefully taken off of the slide where the top radius of the slide meets the slide flats (both front and rear of slide, looks awesome), the only other lightening is some metal removed internally near the rear of the slide (near extractor and firing pin).

I'd appreciate any help.

Bill