Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nra Ap Target

Allgoodhits

In looking through the NRA AP Rule Book, I find that "target heights" are only mentioned for certain events. Spacing is mentioned in all events, but not height. Is the assumption that all NRA D-1 regardless of event are at approximately 6ft (72") at the top? I did find that Falling Plates have a height of 4ft (48") to bottom of plate.

Interesting that Plates are set at 48+4= 52" to center from ground yet NRA D-1 is set at 72-15= 57" to center from ground. Anyone know if this is actually followed at the Bianchi Cup? The D-1 targets just don't seem to look that high at the Chapman range. I know at many local matches the the targets are hung to a "looks about right height".

Thanks,

Martin

p.s. My prone pad never seems to give the elevation I need when I shoot. Especially the 25yd practical. I would rather shoot two additional complete mover events then that 25 yd practical stage. Ditto for the weak hand string, where I need a prone pad (monopod) about 48" tall!

Well Martin I'm gonna let you slide on the HEIGHT of the targets, The unsupported standards say tops of targets will be approx. 6 feet above ground level. While the Ambidextrous match says they will be four feet above ground level to the bottom of the target. Is not the D-1 target 30" tall..........that seems to give you about 6" of play either way.

I always used the top of the target at 6' rule.

Greg

Well Martin I'm gonna let you slide on the HEIGHT of the targets, The unsupported standards say tops of targets will be approx. 6 feet above ground level. While the Ambidextrous match says they will be four feet above ground level to the bottom of the target. Is not the D-1 target 30" tall..........that seems to give you about 6" of play either way.

I always used the top of the target at 6' rule.

Greg

What? No short jokes! :o Please someone report an unauthorized user, as someone has clearly hijacked Greg's username and password. There is no way the real Greg would let that opportunity go by. :wacko:

He was clearly being kind to the infirm.

I like the use of the word Approx. That clearly allows some latitude, but how much. If I was measuring Mount Everest, being 2' out would not have stopped Hilary getting to the Top. But being 2' out at the Cup might be noticed. Most other match rules give a specific height with allowable variation for not perfectly horizontal ranges.

If the range points uphill 3' you could theoretically have the top of the target 3' above the ground at the target line and still appear to be 6' above the ground at the shooting line. Daft, but might be important. Especially to those of us (me included if you ask Grant J) who may not be as tall as we could have been. :D

Edited by gm iprod

As I recall this has been an issue as long as I have been shooting AP. Practical and Plates are the only ones where target layout is sort of defined. We have all assumed that this set the standard and have set ranges up accordingly.

As for the Academy range, anyone who has shot there will have noticed the point of center seems a little off. The term "approximately" in the rules I guess is supposed to cover any discrepancies. Is it a problem? In my opinion it is not, each range is different and poses its own series of challenges. Reading the posts from the worlds in Australia should confirm this.

As for the Mover at the cup, Martin should have a serious advantage with this one over someone like me. The center point is getting closer to his line of sight and further away from mine. How could that be I hear you all ask? Simple, The range has been re surfaced several times in the past 8 years. On at least two occasions to my knowledge new shooting boxes have been poured over the old ones and fresh gravel has been laid. If 2x4's were used as forms, that means we are now standing at least 7 inches higher than we were a few years back. (yes I can add, measured a 2x4 lately)

Hope to see you all in Columbia at the "Cup" in 07

GrantJ :D