Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teflon-coated Lead Bullets

pwalker

Here in Thailand it is strictly illegal to reload ammunition.  As a foreigner living here under a work-permit visa, this is not a risk that I can take.

So, I am limited to buying ammunition made by one of the two local manufacturers.  One of them will make Super 38 Major load as a special order.  It has a power factor of about 165 in my STI open gun.  They will make them with three bullet types:

1. Lead: 10.5 Baht each

2. Teflon coated lead: 11.25 Baht each

3. FMJ: 14 Baht each

(1 USD = 42 Baht)

As you can see, there is a big price difference.

Can you tell me your experiences with the different types of bullets in an super 38 open gun.

Is it worth it to pay out the extra 40% for the jacketed bullets?  Apart from less barrel / comp cleaning required, are there other advantages?

Does the teflon coating option, at a compromise price, make sense?  Would teflon help keep the barrel and comp clean?

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry to state the obvious, but you'd have to try them as I'm sure variations in the alloys would maybe overcome any universal benefits of the coating.

I know that teflon coated lead bullets are being used by the top open and standard shooters in Australia without complaint, so they'd definately be worth trying.

P.D.

Peter,

I have not tried teflon coated bullets but several years ago BullX sold CSJ High Performance Moly Coated bullets which I shot extensively, but not in an open gun.  They were moly coated lead and  smoke was not an issue.  Leading was non-existant and accuracy was excellent in both Limited guns and revolvers.  

If the teflon coated bullets are near as good, they may be worth a try.    Will the reloader let you try a small quantity or is there a minimum order?

DVC.