Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frustrated

bierman

Look at where you'd like to go in this sport. Do you enjoy shooting in production or would you rather step into Open or Limited?

So before you buy something new, take a hard look at what you'd really like to be shooting in the future. Instead of buying a new XD, S_I, Glock or whatever, save your money to get what you really want to be shooting.

Pat, I like Production but I think I am leaning toward going to Limited because, at least around my area, Production is not a very competitive division. That is just my perception and may not be the case elsewhere.

I also started with a 92, and frankly, it was a hell of a gun. It was reliable to the point that having never broken it all the way down, it functioned 100% flawlessly for the first 5000 rounds and 15 years of ownership. This is stock springs in everything. That's one HUGE point in favor of any gun; there's nothing sadder than a 3k$ Open gun that won't run. The difference between an Open GM time and a Production B time is quickly eaten up by a single failure to feed.

H.

Houngan, my Beretta has always been extremely reliable. No complaints in that area. In fact, I have given some Open gunners grief when their $3k gun became really expensive single shot pistols. I can't complian about the reliability of my Beretta at all.

...and buy Brian's book! ;)

jessej, got it, Steve Anderson's and Lanny Bassham's for Christmas last year. :D:D

Thanks again to everyone for the input. It is appreciated.

Pat, I like Production but I think I am leaning toward going to Limited because, at least around my area, Production is not a very competitive division. That is just my perception and may not be the case elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with that, just make sure you WANT to shoot that division/type of gun. The competitiveness of divisions can vary, you might find Production will take off in a year or so as the rules get sorted out...or die completely. Be happy with your equipment, whatever it is.

OK, nobody ever claimed I was hesitant to give my opinion, so here it goes. I shot the steel match down at the Dallas Pistol Club last Sunday, and if you were shooting at those pill plates with a Beretta that the sights are off, I'm shocked you didn't chuck that thing off into the toll road. And if that wasn't enought the 35 yard steel shots would have had me throwing it as far as I-35E.

After 18 years in the Air Force and carrying an M-9 as my duty weapon, you could not give me a 92F for free. That's just my opinion of the gun. I think there is more to the indian/arrow story that is sometimes overlooked. It's the bow. I also bow hunt, and personal preference on one's bow is MUCH more polarized than firearms. Bows are not all built the same, and feel is much more important when shooting a bow than a handgun. Some shoot better for one person than the other. I think the same goes for handguns too, but the distinctions are a bit less. Glocks are the perfect example though. Very few people are on the fence about how a glock feels to them, they love it or hate it. So yes, I think the gun does make a difference. The less you have to think about while shooting, the better you can shoot.

If you are dedicated to the sport, and are not going away any time soon, purchasing another production gun to "sort things out" might not be a bad idea. I'm very reluctant to recommend a large dollar gun purchase though. You may come to the conclusion that you have platteau'ed in your shooting, and simply need a mentorship/training nudge to get you climbing again.

Here's another thought... See if one of the regulars you shoot with that has a S_I or different production gun will loan you the gun and gear to shoot a match with it, and see what the outcome is. If you see and feel a substancial difference in the shooting, you will then have a better idea of where to go from there.

I gotta dollar that Flex would say you don't need anything but a Glock 35 covered in mud and has fingernail polish in the magport :lol: . I'm far from convinced he isn't right either.

I'm for sure not an expert on anything... but i have found that in any type of competition and especially in the gun games, if your not mentally in the game your done..

If your not happy with your equipment... how can you be shooting your best.. It may not overtly manifest itself but deep down if your not satisfied or have doubts about your equipment it's nagging at the back of your head, it sure can't be helping your shooting.

Sometimes a change can make all the difference in the world, you feel more confident in your equipment and that takes away the nagging thing in the back of your head and you can concentrate on getting the job done.

And what the heck, you never really need an excuse to buy a new weapon.. and if your going to play in limited and want to be serious about it.. a semi or full custom S?I is pretty much the only way to go. I don't know what the stats are really for that platform but go to any match and you'll see more of them then just about anything in limited.

good luck.

Jeff.