Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Catch Screw

Bird_Dog0347

I have a STI that has a standard STI trigger in it, and I bought a new SVI trigger because I wanted a longer trigger after feeling one of them. Problem is, when I stripped down my gun, I got to the mag catch and I can't get the screw to come lose. It is a flat head (I hate those) and it is starting to strip it. I stopped because I really don't want to screw it up as the mag catch is hard chromed to match the gun, but I can't change the trigger if I can't get the screw loose.

Is there some sort of trick that I am unaware of, or anything I am missing? It should just unscrew like a standard screw right??? :unsure:

Thanks,

Nick.

If it's the same as a single stack mag catch you push the mag catch button in a bit then depress the mag catch "screw" and give it a quarter turn. This should release the mag catch. It's not a screw at all, but a quarter turn thing. There's a sweet spot on the mag catch such that at just the right depth (pushed in) with a screw driver blade in the "screw" slot pushing against it, the "screw" will make a quarter turn, relaesing the mag catch.

If the STI double stack is not like a 1911 single stack them forget all this.

If it's the same as a single stack mag catch you push the mag catch button in a bit then depress the mag catch "screw" and give it a quarter turn. This should release the mag catch. It's not a screw at all, but a quarter turn thing. There's a sweet spot on the mag catch such that at just the right depth (pushed in) with a screw driver blade in the "screw" slot pushing against it, the "screw" will make a quarter turn, relaesing the mag catch.

If the STI double stack is not like a 1911 single stack them forget all this.

It is the STI 2011, how do I do that one???

The mag catches on the 2011 look just the same to me as those on SS 1911s. So try what I said.

Step by step it's:

stick your scew driver blade in the slot

Push on the mag release to move it in a bit

push in on the screw driver and try to turn it

move the mag release in and out feeling for the spot where the "screw" will turn

at some spot the "screw" will turn. Turn it all the way which will be one quarter turn

The mag release can then be removed

Edited by Eager

Thanks all, I managed to get it last night. I did not realize you had to try to turn as you pressed it in from teh left, but I did get it off and was able to change my trigger.

Now I have an issue with the grip safety, but I will post another subject for that.

Thanks. I meant to say left to right. Welcome to the world of pistolsmithing and drop in parts.

HAHAHA... "Drop in" :rolleyes:

I have just figured out just how "drop in" even the simplest parts are when it comes to a highly tuned 2011! Oh well, I have made an improvement to my already GREAT gun and managed not to screw it up the first time.