Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Loading .40s&w

JDBraddy

• 3 weeks later...

I've reloaded probably 100,000 rounds of 9mm, mostly using Winchester 231, but I haven't played around with .40 yet. Now's the time, since I just got a Glock 35. I'd like to start out safe so I'm looking for a high-volume powder, low-pressure load that reliably makes major in the Glock. Any suggestions?

Right now from what I've heard I'm leaning toward using Universal Clays...

I should add that the round I've got ready to go is a Zero 180 gr. FMJ.

I've just started using a 40 minor load with TG - a 170 grain Precision loaded to 1.100". By my measurements, that actually gives more internal case volume for the powder than a 180 grain bullet loaded out to SAAMI spec max of 1.135". I get about 135 to 140 PF, low SD's and a nice soft load w/o pressure signs.

TG, at least in this load, has a little smoke and is what I might call "sooty". Nickel cases come out fairly blackened inside, vs, say, the Viht and UC powders I've used before that leave the case pretty clean.

One problem with TG - I really have to look closely to see the charge in the case. The powder volume is so low it's actually possible to put FOUR charges in a case without spillage, so paying close attention is critical to seeing a double charge.

Have reloaded .45 ACP for years, but recently started shooting USPSA/IDPA, and have been convinced to get a P-16, and will need to start loading .40S&W. Will be using a 550B, and will probably order a toolhead and a set of Dillon dies. Figured on trying Precision 185gr or 200gr RNF's. I keep plenty of Solo-1000 on hand for my 12ga and .45 ACP loads, but Accurate doesn't provide .40 S&W data for this powder. Anyone know where I could get some data for this combo?

I don't have anything for Solo-1000. I load 180 grain Zero JHPs over 5 grains of Bullseye. It works well for my Glock 23, giving me 950 fps on the chrono or a PF of 170. I'm in the process of selling the Glock and buying a Kimber 1911 single stack for my .40 shooting. I just like shooting 1911 guns. I'll be working up something, probably using the same bullet, or some kind of lead bullet for that gun soon.

Lee

• 2 months later...

Have reloaded .45 ACP for years, but recently started shooting USPSA/IDPA, and have been convinced to get a P-16, and will need to start loading .40S&W. Will be using a 550B, and will probably order a toolhead and a set of Dillon dies. Figured on trying Precision 185gr or 200gr RNF's. I keep plenty of Solo-1000 on hand for my 12ga and .45 ACP loads, but Accurate doesn't provide .40 S&W data for this powder. Anyone know where I could get some data for this combo?

I don't have anything for Solo-1000. I load 180 grain Zero JHPs over 5 grains of Bullseye. It works well for my Glock 23, giving me 950 fps on the chrono or a PF of 170. I'm in the process of selling the Glock and buying a Kimber 1911 single stack for my .40 shooting. I just like shooting 1911 guns. I'll be working up something, probably using the same bullet, or some kind of lead bullet for that gun soon.

Lee

See page 1, post #13 for a link to factory Major .40 data and Solo 1000. BTW, the load that Raul was good enough to run a Quickload on (thanks Raul!) did not make it to major out of my KKM barreled SV .40. It might do so out of your gun. Shot soft & no pressure signs. Bullet was a Star brand 180 grain.

<EDIT>

Here is the data:

.40 S&W SV w/ KKM bull barrel. Powder: Solo 1000, 4.5 grains, 180 Grn FMJ, 1.145" mixed cases Federal small pistol primer: Avg. 838 FPS, SD: 12 (10 rounds), PF: 150.8.

Edited by Carlos