Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot Xi - Ten Years Ago This Week

BritinUSA

1996. The 6th of October and teams from around the world have gathered in Brasilia for the 11th IPSC World Championship.

I found these photos the other day and thought I would post some of them here...

Team Australia won the best dressed category...post-293-1159666483.jpg

One of the larger field courses. Procedural errors were handed out if you hit the tanks.post-293-1159666551.jpg

The bridge stage, this thing wobbled all over the place. The Phillipine ladies team ran over this and it didn't move, they were lighter than the stage designers had planned.

post-293-1159666615.jpg

Tracy, one of the British ladies team shooting from the boat, hard to tell from the picture but it was floating in water and wobbled enough to cause problems for a lot of shooters.post-293-1159666694.jpg

Me, shooting the obligatory (in those days) strong hand only stage.post-293-1159666727.jpg

I think this may be Kippi shooting a stage. There were no USA team uniforms that year (if memory serves) so everyone just wore their sponsor shirts. post-293-1159666793.jpg

Team Australia, the reason for all the shots of the ladies is that the mens team were over the other side of the range, my squad followed the ladies throughout the match. post-293-1159666864.jpg

Elaine, another member of the UK ladies team. Action photo's were a little difficult as only the shooter was allowed on the stage when it was being shot. post-293-1159666930.jpg

So close to the equator the sun would zoom up to the top of the sky and stay there all day, shade was at a premium and it was hot. Everyone clustered underneath the military tents to get out of the heat. post-293-1159667015.jpg

The UK ladies team posing at the end of the match. post-293-1159667057.jpg

Tracy with the big gun. post-293-1159667073.jpg

Members of the UK team. post-293-1159667086.jpg

The top sixteen men at the shootoffs. post-293-1159667106.jpg

My gun at that match, now recycled into a manhole cover in UK :angry:post-293-1159667117.jpg

my squad followed the ladies throughout the match.

... no need to explain, everyone has priorities :P

It was tough to follow them, some of the times that they were posting were amazing ! I think the USA, Australia and UK ladies team were on the same squad. I remember that the US Ladies were very aggressive shooters, really hustling around the stages.

I wish I had taken more shots of the match but it is hard to do when I was trying to compete at the same time. I have some great shots of the city of Brasilia, there was an amazing church there that was underneath a glass dome... It was incredible.

At the European Champs in Greece, two years later, they had a photographer that walked arund the match taking action pictures of just about every shooter. He then sold them at the range (they were great shots too).

This is something they should do at every major match (including Nationals). The photographer made a ton of money, they also did this at the World Shoot in Phillippines in 1999.