Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag/follower Problems

mscott

I've had issues with a couple mags not staggering the first 3 rounds or so in some of my .40 cal mags. It's almost like you need to help them go to one side or the other. I've also got 3 on the back burner because they won't feed the last round in the mag. I replaced all the springs with the Wolff extra power mag springs hoping that might help, but it made no difference other than being much harder to load. I also had been running a 14# spring for my lighter production loads so I switched back to the factory spring which seems to have cured one mag's not feeding the last round. The only last couple of things I can think of to try is to try different followers (they are mostly #5 in the problem mags) or maybe try to bend the top of the mag spring to put more pressure on the front of the follower. I also checked the ammo and everything is what it always has been (1.130 oal).Any other ideas?

Are you running #5 followers in a 4th generation or newer mag? The #5 followers do not work correctly in 3rd, 2nd, or 1st generation magazines. If the followers came with the mag new in wrapper than it's a 4th gen or newer.

You might want to try the #6 followers if it is a newer mag.

Also try rapping the bottom of the mag a few times as your loading the mag to get the rounds to settle properly. You can shake the mag and should not hear a rattling noise.