Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Setup

PaulW

My opinion is to get what "you" think is the coolest/best stuff. That's the way to achieve true happiness with your purchase.

As long as all the guns you choose have the following features you will be good to go with almost any direction you choose.

AR specific:

- Free float handguard

- Flat top config

- Tac legal muzzle brake

- JP or McCormick trigger system

- Quality magazines (not a feature, but a requirement for AR's to run 100%)

Shotgun specific:

- Appropriate sights and setup for the chosen division (speedloaders & porting, or not)

- Changeable chokes

Traits all 3 guns should exhibit:

- high reliability

- cool (to you) looks

JP Rifles, MSTN, Benny Hill & Clark Custom are shops that can build up an AR that fits Tactical and Open division equally well.

JP Rifles, Benny Hill, Beven Gram & Shawn Carlock can all build you the appropriate shotgun for your chosen division.

Benny Hill & quite a few others (EGW, Limcat, Bedell, Londrigan, Dawson, etc...) can build a pistol that will meet 3gun needs. Pistol setup in 3gun is more about the holster you choose and how well you integrate gear than in anything specific about the pistol build itself.

I choose the Remmy gas operated shotgun for Open 3gun myself and feel they are more maligned than they deserve. Most folks treat shotguns like dirt and expect them to be as reliable as a hammer. I treat my Remmy the same as I treat my AR and it runs all de' day long, or at least 99.999% of it. Nothing actually runs at 100%, 100% of the time ;-)

Truth here is that the Benelli is simpler in operation and tends to be more robust as a result. The gas guns and the Remmy in particular have more complicated actions and require a maintenance and parts replacement schedule on a par with auto-loading rifles. They are also in need of a bit more tuning to get to the starting gate in the first place. All this does not make one system automatically superior to another, it just means that a considered choice is to be made as to what level of care and feeding are you interested in buying into in return for what level of features.

The final truth on shotguns is that gas guns shoot with a different feel than impulse driven guns and trying both before settling on a final choice is the best advice I can offer.