Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Revelations

want2race

Quick Bio: I've shot 5 or so club matches so far with good enough results to keep me excited and interested. Not classified yet.

I don't get to fire much so my range time is valuable to me (once a month).

Went out Sunday to get in a little practice before the In-Laws show up.

I started out slow and deliberate, and sucked. Pulling shots, not seeing the sights and just sucking in general. I know what my "norm" is when shooting and this was not it.

My last match was very Zen worthy. Shooting on autopilot and kicking ass (for my skill level). I didn't even remember doing things like reloading or moving while shooting the stages, it just 'happened'. I shoot best like this. The less I think, the more A zones and quicker the time.

Well, yesterday was not just 'happening'. The problem? Concentration.

I was starting at 50% speed and trying to go through the motions perfectly. It wasn't working. When I concentrate, I suck. Imagine my suprise to read that in Brian's book.

My last couple draw/fire's I woke up. I decided, screw it I'm just going to go all out. (The "flat-rangers" were already mad that I was practicing on "their" range). I quit thinking and just went for it, which is the mindset I had last match. I ended my session with the best draw and double (controlled pair) that I had all day. From start to finish the sights seemed like they never moved.

My next range session will start out "as fast as possible". I'll see how that works.

Edited by want2race