Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets And Fast Powders

revchuck

Folks - I've got a thousand each of Precision 147s and MasterBlaster 150s coming. These will be used in .38 Special, loaded to Minor (~900 fps) from 4-6" barrels, so we're not talking barn burners here. ;)

MasterBlaster's FAQ page warns against using "fast" powders and recommends using "medium" ones. Since I'll be using these bullets in a revolver, I want to use a powder that leaves minimum residue, and that usually means a fast powder.

Does anyone have experience with these coated bullets at low pressure and using fast powders? My only experience so far has been with Bullseye and the 185 grain .40 cal Precisions in the 880 fps range, and there were no problems at what appears to be higher pressures.

TIA!

I ordered a sample of the 147gr 9mm Masterblaster bullets to try in my Glock. I loaded 'em over 3.4gr of Universal Clays. Accuracy was great and they shot soft, but they leaded badly. Lead and what seemed to be plastic/ploy fouling.

I really liked how they shot, but the leading scared me off 'em.

Lucky for me I found a good load with 147gr Berrys.

[edits]

Edited by WestDesRat

I ordered a sample of the 147gr 9mm Masterblaster bullets to try in my Glock. ...I really liked how they shot, but the leading scared me off 'em.

about how long ago did you do that experiment? I've been shooting MasterBlaster bullets for some time now. When I was shooting L10, I was loading a 200gr MB over Clays powder and ran into some leading problems. That was about last year at this time.

I've recently switched guns and am now shooting Limited with an STI Edge. I'm running the 180gr MB with Titegroup. As previously mentioned, Tom doesn't (or maybe I should say "didn't") recommend fast powders with MasterBlaster bullets. However I've found Titegroup to work extremely well with the bullets. I talked to Tom about this (and his recommendation against fast powders) and Tom told me that he's made dramatic improvements in the poly coating to the point that they're not as powder sensitive as they've been in the past. I believe it based on my testing. I'm getting very little smoke and no leading with a powder (Titegroup) that others have claimed problems with in the past.

So, moral of the story is...don't be afraid to try a faster powder with it....because it may work great...and you'll never know until you try it.