Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson International Baspads

austinkroe

I am thinking about getting some DP intl BPs for my IDPA ESP gun but I have a few questions.

Will I need to get new spacers so the mags feed 9mm properly?

Will I need new springs?

How do you take of the pads once they are on (I see no holes on them)?

Is there anything else I should know about them?

Opinions?

Worth it?

TIA

Austin

Edited by austinkroe

I don't know about the spacers, but I would guess that if the mags feed now, they should work with the basepads.

I use them and didn't change springs.

They are a TIGHT fit on the SV tubes I use, but I polished down the lips and sides a little so it's not such a chore to get 'em on and off. Now they slip on and off.

I have some of the SPS plastic ones that secure with a pin if you're interested in those.

The Dawson international base pads are held on by friction (when the tubes are empty) and the compressed spring when full (17/18 rounds depending on configuration of sprin/folower cobination) Thats the good news.

The bad news (dont ask) is that with a partially filled tube (as in IDPA 10 round max for ESP) it is possible for the basepad to shift on the lips out far enough to prevent full insertion into the frame for a reload.

I solved this problem by drilling a hole (7/32") in the center of the base pad and using the stock STI basepad retaining plate installed with the "star" facing in/up toawrd the feed lips. The hole in the basepad is to be able to depress the retaining plate enough to slide the basepad off. This acts just like any other type of two peice basepad retaining system but does reduce total max capacity to 16 round which is not an issue in IDPA for which the tubes were built.

Others have drilled and tapped the basepads for set screws to prevent shifting of the basepad. To each his/her own but the intent is the same to prvent shifting of the basepad when the tube is partially filled.