Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle vs Pistol vs Shotgun (times)

I would rate from fastest to slowest---pistol,rifle and then shotgun.The rifle would pull ahead past 15yds or so. I shot a field course with rifle and pistol a couple weeks ago with targets out to about 10yds and I was slighty faster with the pistol.My splits are never as fast with the rifle and it has a 2# JP trigger. I think the shotgun will always be the slowest unless maybe a steel stage with no reloads. YMMV

Bill

Our club shoots pistol caliber carbines as re-entries on the handgun matches.  Time depends on stage design and skill level.  On a wide open close course, the difference between times is small, and the top shooters may not improve on their handgun times when using the carbine.

Make the shots tough, or farther out, and the carbine times get faster, sometimes much faster.

(Less difference between Open times pistol/carbine and Limited times pistol/carbine.)

Trying to compare shotguns to handguns and rifles is like comparing apples to oranges.  Different power levels, different energy delivery, different sighting engagement.  but times depend more on skill than type, and since we have a very small base (of shooters who are equally skilled with both) to use as a yardstick, not much luck.

But it sure is fun testing.