Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palm Scoring 2006 Aware

AWARE2005

For the recent 2006 AWARE match we used Palm scoring exclusivily. I cannot stress how well this worked. It took a stats staff of 3 people, down to one very bored indivdual. It simply worked flawlessly. We had a couple slight adjustments to make, however these were casued by us not the palms, and we would have had to make the same adjustments if we had scored usuing paper.

I struck a deal with Peter Cunningham of AutoScoring Systems for the new "club" software. This version allows you 2 master palms and 20 slaves to use on the ranges. I purchased new "demo" palm IIIxe palms from 3d electronics in Cananda for $24.99 each, plus shipping. Every palm I got (we bought 16) was in perfectly flawless conditon and worked perfectly.

I did have a slight learning curve getting the MS acces link up and running, but after the first time it is painless. We have been able to teach out rangestaff to use these in less than five minutes. The only issue we had is some people have trouble sorting through the competitors list by squad, or shooter number. Actual scoring training was short and very good. We had one person at out club that was hesitant, and complained that we had people that "clouldnt score using these things" I pointed out we have a whole club of people that cant seem to score on paper, so one or 2 on the palms isnt that bad.

If you are thinking of running a major match, you should definatly look into going to the palm system. You can have your club setup and running with 10 palms for about 1500.00, if you compare it to buying 2 or 3 pard NCR scoresheets for 9 stages and 150 shooters, your payback is 2 years.

If your thinking of running a major match and would like to try them. We may be able to work out a deal for utilizing our Palms and software at your club. We bought our own licence and we are free to do as we please with it. Plus I dont see where Peter would mind, you will buy your own once you use this. Our stats were complete and posted within 15 minutes of the last shot being fired for a 4 day, 165 person match.

Edited by AWARE2005