Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any old dinosaurs out there with creatures designed to run on leaded premium gas (besides me)? I actually found a place that sells octane booster with real live tetraethyl lead...... and this stuff will bump your octane about three numbers with one ounce per gallon added. Way better than the worthless junk they sell at auto stores.

Be warned: real lead will screw up a car designed to run on unleaded so you can't use it for that. In an engine designed for leaded fuel, this is what you want.

http://www.kemcooil.com/product_info.php?pId=61

OUCH, $20 for 32oz! Just think, we used to get Sunoco 260/100 octane for $0.32/gallon.

I remember Chevron Custom Supreme used to ring in at about 104 octane..... cost maybe 35 cents on a good day.

Actually, with this booster you can get a case of 12 quarts for about $120 including delivery, so the price isn't too bad that way ($10/quart). But a quart will treat about 32 gallons at a "+3" number octane boost (one ounce per gallon).... so it works out to about 30 cents a gallon to get a +3 octane boost.

The point is that tetraethyl lead boosts octane WAYYYY better than the junk they sell in those bottles at Kragens that cost $5 for about 12 ounces. That stuff is mostly toluene or similar chemical, which has an inherent octane of about 135. Adding a 12 ounce bottle to 15 gallons of gas only raises the octane about 0.3 of an octane number.... like 91 to 91.3 octane. It's basically worthless and very expensive.