Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Work Questions Again

killarbb

but these have not been addressed. will a N frame shoot factory ammo if you leave the springs alone, smooth everything up, and bob the hammer? i cannot justify spending much on a carry gun, but i like the way my 325 fits, with the exception of the hammer snagging on everything. i am mainly concerned about making sure that i can run factory ammo.

Brett

Brett--absolutely. The idea that bobbing a revolver hammer will reduce ignition reliability is a discredited myth. In fact, the opposite is true--all other things being equal, the lighter hammer will contribute to better primer ignition.

Slick and bob to your heart's content, I'd say.

but these have not been addressed. will a N frame shoot factory ammo if you leave the springs alone, smooth everything up, and bob the hammer? i cannot justify spending much on a carry gun, but i like the way my 325 fits, with the exception of the hammer snagging on everything. i am mainly concerned about making sure that i can run factory ammo.

Brett

The gun is designed by Smith and Wesson to pop all commercial handgun primers. If it did not, you would simply send it back to Smith and they would make it so under warranty. By bobbing the hammer, you might void that warranty (call them and ask). That having been said, every gun is its own universe. If it is to be used as a defensive carry weapon, I hope you will test (and test again) with the defensive ammunition you plan to use after any modification you might make. This should be done even if you do not make any modifications. I prefer Federal defensive ammunition because of the more sensitive primers. Good Luck