Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip, Part 235

Matt Griffin

Hokay, my shooting is coming along nicely. I'm starting to see the sights, but I have yet another specific question on the grip.

In Brian's book, there is a picture showing his weak hand holding the gun, where the heel of his palm is across 1/2 or a bit less of the backstrap. I worked on this, where I could get a maximum amount of weak hand on the gun, and tried to balance my grip contact between the hands equally, with more pressure from the weak hand. This made a big improvement in control an accuracy, as well as freeing my trigger finger to move faster.

Then I watched the Todd Jarrett video again, and caught the part about the weak hand thumb being equal to the trigger finger when both were extended. His grip advice seemed to advocate a more straight-line grip with the strong hand, with the barrel of the gun running along the line of the forearm, and some camming of the weak hand. This seems to be a little different than what Brian recommends, in that the strong hand seems to be dominating the backstrap quite a bit more. It reminds me of a good bullseye grip, in fact.

I tried Jarrett's grip in my last practice session, and suddenly the gun was recoiling straight up-and-down, rather than angling toward my weak side as previously. It also seemed to be lifting considerably less in recoil, and I could see the sights!

So, my question is this: did I misunderstand Brian's grip explanation, and they are the same, or is it that Todd's grip idea fits me better?

H.

I think you might have mis-understood Brian, it sound like you are on the right track. Some of the pictures are a bit different depending on the size of the grip. I've watch Todd shoot enough time to know he doing it the same way Brian describes, and this is the same as the vids on my site. www.springerprecision.com

Edited by Loves2Shoot