Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

... Broken Trigger Bar Spring 4 Rounds Into A 32 Round Stage

mcb

First time my XD-40 has let me down in probably over 6000 rds through it.

It was the Third stage of the day at the Easter Lakes Sectional and the Trigger Bar Spring (Part 9 on page 28 of the manual) on my XD-40 Tactical broke leaving me high and dry four rounds into a 32 round stage and most ironically the stage sponsored by Springfield Armory.

SOB! and I had a good match going till that point. Well I zeroed that stage and had to switch to my XD-40 Service that is usually my carry gun but I take to matches as a back up gun for just such a problem. The thing is the my Service is basic a stock XD-40 but my Tactical has lots of grip tape, magazine well, and extended magazine release.

With how hot it was I was really missing the grip tape. Without the grip tape it felt like the gun was going to squirt out of my sweaty hands. The magazine well was really missed as it make my draws so much more consistent and the thing I missed most was that extend magazine release. Holy cow did the factory release slow down my reloads.

Anyway I call SA this morning and I have a new Trigger Bar Spring coming free of charge. Hopefully it will be here before this weekend.

Fun Fun

mcb

Sorry to here that .

To bad you didn't have time to swap springs.

Might try to order me a spare.Couldn't image having to finish with my sub-compact

Yeah but to get at that spring you have to take the locking block and most the trigger assembly out of the polymer frame. Once I got home I completely strip the frame. Figured while I have it partial disassemble I would go all the way and give it a good cleaning, and thoroughly inspect all the other parts in the frame for excessive wear or damage. Every thing else looks good so at present all the parts are laid out on my cleaning table waiting on the new spring to arrive. Hopefully it gets here before this weekends match and more importantly before the following weekend where I am going to try to shoot Eastern Lakes 3-gun with my XD as my handgun. 3-gun limit with a Revolver would be ruff. :ph34r:

Anyway, here is the offending piece of spring steel for those that are curious. You'll notice the right leg is missing a small hook that engages the trigger bar.

homis_bane.jpg

mcb