Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Duty Sti Guns

A_Med

I have some questions for anyone using an STI 2011 in both disciplines. I'm curious how different folks are setup for this?

I have a new STI from Derek at Millenium Custom and I would like to use it in IDPA as well. What I already know is I need the SVI Magwell to fit in the box and the 126 Mags with Carry or International Basepads for IDPA. Easy enough, however, my Mags for Limited have Dawson basepads and I find they hit the SV Magwell just a bit. Enough to make you want to slam them home a little harder on a reload to be sure. This makes me want to use the Larger STI orICE magwell for Limited and switch back to the SV for IDPA, but, I'm concerned that the frequent swapping of the magwell would be a lot of wear and tear on the gun. I'm pretty new to the 1911/2011.

The second issue is the slidelock which is setup to Not lock back which could be an issue in IDPA. I could get a second Slidestop without the detent and swap it out as well but again the wear issue not to mention all this swapping is probably going to get old considering I can easily be shooting IDPA one day and IPSC the next.

I know the easy answer is get two guns ;-) but I really want to shoot this one gun all the time for consistency. Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any and all feedback. Of course I did do a search but you can imagine how many posts have the terms STI in them.

Angel

I never experience a problem with Dawson pads and SV magwell however why not simply dremel the pads a little until you are more comfortable with them.

As far as the slide stop goes, it shouldn't be a wear and tear issue (gs correct me if i am wrong) but more one of whether or not that simple issue will result in a 100% function the way you want.

As to changing the magwells all the time, I wouldn't worry about the wear and tear as much as the relatively large difference in grip position between the SV and an ICE magwell.

My limited/IDPA gun is a factory built SVI with a bushing barrel and short dustcover. When I shoot limited the 140mm mags come out and when I shoot IDPA the 126's run just fine as well. You shouldn't have a problem getting everything sorted with a little effort.

Good luck, Craig

Craig,

Thanks for your reply. You make a great point about the different grips with the 2 magwells. I could split the difference and use the STI magwell istead of the ICE. Its interesting that you say you don't have trouble with the Dawson pads. Mine seem to make pretty good contact with the sides of the magwell before fully seating.

Also, do you have the gun setup to lock back or not?

Thanks again,

Angel

My gun was set up to lock back.

BTW your comment about the dawson pads just made me take my gun out and have a look. I must have forgotten that I did take a little material of the top front corners of the two DP pads I have. Sorry for misstating that. It shouldn't take much to get rid of the contact.

STI short dust cover with an SV mag well. Runs just fine with 140s with Dawson base pads for limited and just fine with ST tubes and SV 'carry' base pads for idpa.

Edited to add:

my slide locks back.

Edited by Catfish

What internals are you guys using in your 140's? Do you ever have a premature lock back when running Limited?

Thanks for the info. I may work on this a little more. Craig you say you removed material from the corner of the basepads themselves and not the magwell?

Angel

In my 140's I am running Gram's springs/followers and the Dawson pad on two mags, Grams pads on four others. No problem with premature lockback.

Yes I if you look at my basepads I took a little material off the top front corners of the basepads and they fit just fine.