Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this one earlier, Sam and I should be back this year. Good news is that the old gulley course is supposed to be back as well, and Dave said there would probably be a little more time on the other courses as well. Last year was tough to get around under the time limits, even for the IPSC guys.

I can't wait!!!! B)

John, are we really going to have to hump 1,000 round of ammo for each gun on the Gully Course? That's 37 lbs of .40 if I load 180 grainers and 30.5 lbs if I load 135 grainers. The weight difference is 3 quarts of water. HMMMM, what would John Wayne do?

Bret, you gotta get Rich R talked into shooting this thing. He told me that going downhill with a backpack kills his knees. Just tell him it seems like the whole match is uphill and he should do just fine.

105 degrees? All those military guys who are half as old and twice as tough as us are going to think we had the cool weather brought in just for them. B)

Dave mentioned 1,000 rds each, carbine and pistol, hopefully that's allowing for way more missing than we usually do. Don't forget that you may have to pack me out after the heat stroke. We may be shy a few pistol mags, should have the AR mags covered.

I think Dave WAY overestimates round count, or he's used to people missing alot. I have always had to repeatedly ask "just tell me how many targets, I'll adjust my loadout from there" and then you'll get a reasonable answer.

No slam to Dave, it's just that when he says 500 rounds of precision rifle, it's only 75 per course plus the shootoff, for a total of 250. So, cut his estimates in half, and you'll be close. I'd expect 500 MAX for the gully, I've shot that course twice and finished the thing both times - with about 350 rounds.

Are you guys staying at the range? How did you like the hotel rates in Gillette for that weekend? Holy cr*p!! We ended up in the Clarion for $99 a night. Heck, the motel 6 was 125 bucks! Talk about gouging. Sturgis weekend.

Rich R - I'll have to work on him.

Good point, Bret. I think I'll still bring 1,000 rounds of .40. If we get reliable intel that there are fewer rounds required, I'll leave a couple behind.

John and I will be holed up at his exclusive private villa and shooting complex on the Dunn family estate.....somewhere near Gillette. The exact loaction is of course: Classified. :ph34r:

Bret,

Last I talked to Dave he said he had been hauling a buttload of steel targets back into the gulley course, so you might want a little cushion on the carbine and pistol ammo. The match documents recommend 800 rds carbine and pistol, FWIW.

I'm lucky enough to live in Gillette, so I'll be sleeping in my own bed! Sam gets the guest room. This year or next if you want to use the couch or an Aero-Bed, we'd be happy to put you up. Beware the 3 small girls, though, if they find you are physically capable of pushing the tire swing, they'll rope you into it somehow.

Are you shooting the GAP 260 AI?

Thanks John -

Wow, 800 rounds of AR. My money says there's less targets there - imagine cramming 800 targets (heck even 400) back there. I don't think it would physically possible - but I've been wrong before!!

I usually bring 500 for the AR - I'm setting up to pack only a dozen 30 rounders. Now I've got to load another 300 ... thanks John...

I'll be shooting the GAP 260AI - although I just rebedded it into an A5 stock last week and I'm seeing problems with the construction of the A5 stock. It's not stiff enough in the forend. So, I'll likely be back to the AICS stock unless I can find a cure.

John, you gotta get me lined out for restaurants... we had trouble finding anything at all for dinner in Gillette.

I don't think there will be that many targets, but Dave may tell us to shoot each one 2-4 times, that's the way he rolls.

As for dinner:

Gillette Dining Guide

Mexican: Los Margaritas on 59 across from Wal-Mart for dine in. I'd avoid Casa del Ray on 14-16 because the salsa is poor and the beans aren't very good. If a Mexican place can't figure those things out, you'd best stay away.

For take out Mexican Maria's across from McDonalds is pretty good, but slow. I like the Chili Rellenos there.

Steak: The Prime Rib...pricy and a little slow, but good. I'd avoid the Chophouse, I've had great meals there, but its pretty hit or miss.

Chinese: The Great Wall or Hong Kong, both are generic but good. Avoid the Chinese buffets...there are two of these in town. If you go the buffet route...take some Immodium prophylactically.

Probably the best place in town is Humphrey's. It's a sports bar/restaurant with a huge menu of great food, large portions, nice waitstaff.

John,

It's good to see you are coming back. long drive...ha ha

We're coming back and bring a second team from the Washington area.

Has Dave said anything on the number of teams?

Thanks,

The Tom and Rory Team or Rory and Tom as he likes to put it.

tom

Tom,

Dave said he was expecting a good turnout, but didn't get specific about the number.

Flying J Truck Stop has a restaurant, too. It is unrated since I've never eaten there.

It's true, Gillette is a pretty swanky place. :)

Last year we did the Flying J for b-fast.

DON'T do it. You will be tasting it all day.

Nothing is better then trying to run in 90deg heat burping bacon.

I hope Dave get a great turn out.

Any word if the water is back on?

It's starting to get close, I guess I should try and get some shooting time in.

Tom

Bret,

Did we meet at Shot Show this year?

Tom

Tactical Solutions

Yeah, you're right we did. I'll be in Orlando with IST Designs at booth 4007 for yet another 5 days of fun.

Glad to see you're on board with the match we chatted about! It should be good this year. I spoke with Dave a couple of times through the last few months and gave him another request for the gully course, and more time on each course (which is a function of how many entrants there are). He said 16 teams got called up to active duty so there will be somewhere around 35 teams -

He said we might have 45 minutes between teams instead of 30 (I didn't think 30 was an issue, personally, unless the team behind you tries to take you out like what happened to us one year - they didn't succeed but it rushed us and we ended up 7th - they finished 35th)

Also after reading Zak's description last year I did ask Dave not to have 50 rounds of PR all at one sitting. Hope nobody minds me asking that. I think that's just ridiculous torture on a nice rifle (I'm a match director for PR matches here and I would never do that). He said that was in response to a request for more PR shooting. Uh... I don't think that is what everyone had in mind Dave.... :-)

You guys taking Lauck's class? I decided to do it primarily for the range time at that altitude / temp combo.

For what it's worth I found a portable bench mounted single stage press that rocks. It's from harrell precision and was $150 bucks, but clamps to a table and weighs about 5 pounds. Very precise with no perceptible runout on the shaft either radial or axial. Nice unit. Check out harrellsprecision.com

So I'm going to reload, if necessary, in my hotel room.

• 2 weeks later...

Match is over. Had a great time, as usual. The weather this year was a nice change from the usual 95-100 degree heat. There was enough wind to totally screw me up on the Arvada stage, though! The time pressure was considerable, but I think that's a good thing. The gulley stage has once again convinced me that I'm way too fat and out of shape.

Bret and Henning kicked our butt and took 4th, Sam and I took 5th. Voigt and Cooley won the thing (SURPRISE!), Peterson and Kisch came in second. The top two teams are so good it's scary...there has to be something I'm missing about long range shooting. I might have to take some classes from those guys.

Sam is shooting long range next year, so the pressure is off me for a bit. My goal is to have no carbine misses on the field courses next year. Can't wait to do it again.

If anyone out there has any interest in precision field shooting, this match is for you, come on out. You get to measure yourself against the best, and you will learn a truckload.

Tom, thanks for the generous RO prize, those guys worked their butts off! Good seeing you again, hope to see you and Rory back next year!